Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Problem with DMA Controller in Qsys

AHadi
Beginner

I am trying to add a DMA Controller in Qsys in Quartus Prime 16.1 but during generating the VHDL code it fails due to the following error:

Capture.JPG

Can anyone advise how to resolve this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Kenny_Tan
Can you use the latest release of Quart Prime 18.1? There are quite a lot bugs fixed there.
0 Kudos
AHadi
Beginner

Hi KTan,

Thanks for your response. I can try switching to 18.1 and see if it will be fixed.

Before then, I played with different parameters and noticed that when I decrease the size of on-chip-memory to 16384 bytes or lower, qsys generates the VHDL code successfuly. I am attaching a screenshot of the qsys (it is very simple). The device is MAX10: 10M08SAE144C8GES. I switched the device to MAX10: 10M16SAU169C8G and it was the same; QSYS compiles for on-chip memory size of 16384 bytes and fail for larger. The error is same as above. Do you have any insight on why it happens?

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan
I suspect this would due to insufficient memory that you have in your computer. What OS and the spec of computer that you were using? Can you attached your qsys files for me to try it on my side?
0 Kudos
AHadi
Beginner

Hi KTan9,

I am using a Windows 10 system with specs below:

Capture.JPG

I am attaching the qsys file.

I experimented more and noticed that when I set the SRAM to a 2^n values larger than 64 (64, 128, 256,...) , it generates HDL code successfuly but it fails otherwise.

For example if I set it to 20,480, it fails but if I set it to 32,768 (2^15) it succeeds.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan
Can you try increase your computer ram to 32G? try a different machine?
0 Kudos
AHadi
Beginner

I tried on a different machine with 64G ram and still the same error.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

I try on my side and I dint get any failure. I am using windows 10 as well. Attached the screenshot

0 Kudos
AHadi
Beginner

Did you use quartus 16.1 or a later version?

for what ram values did it compile?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

I am using Q18.1, I just download the NIOS file from the above. The is shown in the above screenshot.

0 Kudos
AHadi
Beginner

Hi KTan9,

In the qsys file uploaded above, the SRAM memory size is 16384 bytes which I can compile too but when you increase the SRAM it fails.

In general, when the SRAM is set to a 2^n values larger than 64 (64, 128, 256,...) , it generates HDL code successfuly but it fails otherwise. For example if I set it to 20,480, it fails but if I set it to 32,768 (2^15) it succeeds

0 Kudos
AHadi
Beginner

Try this. It fails on my side:

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

This time i am using Q19.1std. not failing as well. Attached the screenshot

0 Kudos
AHadi
Beginner

Hi KTan9,

I have been trying for few days upgrading from quartus 16.1 to 18.1 Lite. I installed the software and the updates and can successfuly compile my project in quartus. However, when I want to create a new project with BSP in Nios 18.1, I get the error below. I get the error for all the templates. Do you know a workaround? Thanks again for all your help,Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

This usually happened if you do not create the bsp as the admin. If still not solve, you can post this new question to the correct area

https://forums.intel.com/s/topic/0TO0P000000MWkiWAG/nios-ii-embedded-design-suite-(eds)

Thanks

0 Kudos