Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16611 Discussions

Problems running sdram pin assignment tcl script on Linux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm generating a HPS setup for a Cyclone V device. When I run the auto generated script soc_system/synthesis/submodules/hps_sdram_p0_pin_assignments.tcl it fails. 

In Quartus command-line the failure is 

Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-close.c: 764: _dl_close: Assertion `map->l_init_called' failed! while executing "exec $cmd -t $project_name " invoked from within "if { ! || ($quartus(nameofexecutable) != "quartus_sta" && $quartus(nameofexecutable) != "quartus_map") } { pos..." (file "/srv/home/prosjekt/digtap/FPGA/atlas-soc-ghrd/ATLAS_SOC_GHRD/soc_system/synthesis/submodules/hps_sdram_p0_pin_assignments.tcl" line 110) ------------------------------------------------ Error (23031): Evaluation of Tcl script /srv/home/prosjekt/digtap/FPGA/atlas-soc-ghrd/ATLAS_SOC_GHRD/soc_system/synthesis/submodules/hps_sdram_p0_pin_assignments.tcl unsuccessful Error: Quartus Prime Shell was unsuccessful. 1 error, 0 warnings Error: Peak virtual memory: 980 megabytes Error: Processing ended: Wed Mar 23 00:20:05 2016 Error: Elapsed time: 00:00:15 Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:15  

The Quartus GUI fails with the same message. Please notice the "inconsistency detected" note at the top. I get this from every quartus command being run from the command line, not just for tcl scripts. I'm running 64-bit ubuntu 15.10. 

Because of this error, I cannot trust the Quartus toolchain on Linux.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ubuntu is not a supported OS for Quartus. I've seen posts elsewhere in the forum that show how you can get it to work by installing additional libraries. Look around a bit. This may or my not have anything to do with why you are having this problem.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hmm, I see now that the only supported distro for Linux is Red Hat Linux. I don't remember last time I saw someone use that. Its on 44th place of distrowatch.com lists. 

Does this imply that other rpm-based distro, such as Fedora, will work better? I wonder if Fedoras system setup and libraries and such still resebles RedHat.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Red Hat is more an enterprise OS for servers. In that community is is popular. A Linux distribution is more than just a kernel version and a packaging system. Compatibility has a lot to do with the libraries that are installed.  

Instead of Red Hat, i've used Centos which is a free version that closely tracks Red Hat Releases.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm generating a HPS setup for a Cyclone V device. When I run the auto generated script soc_system/synthesis/submodules/hps_sdram_p0_pin_assignments.tcl it fails. 

In Quartus command-line the failure is 

Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-close.c: 764: _dl_close: Assertion `map->l_init_called' failed! while executing "exec $cmd -t $project_name " invoked from within "if { ! || ($quartus(nameofexecutable) != "quartus_sta" && $quartus(nameofexecutable) != "quartus_map") } { pos..." (file "/srv/home/prosjekt/digtap/FPGA/atlas-soc-ghrd/ATLAS_SOC_GHRD/soc_system/synthesis/submodules/hps_sdram_p0_pin_assignments.tcl" line 110) ------------------------------------------------ Error (23031): Evaluation of Tcl script /srv/home/prosjekt/digtap/FPGA/atlas-soc-ghrd/ATLAS_SOC_GHRD/soc_system/synthesis/submodules/hps_sdram_p0_pin_assignments.tcl unsuccessful Error: Quartus Prime Shell was unsuccessful. 1 error, 0 warnings Error: Peak virtual memory: 980 megabytes Error: Processing ended: Wed Mar 23 00:20:05 2016 Error: Elapsed time: 00:00:15 Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:15  

The Quartus GUI fails with the same message. Please notice the "inconsistency detected" note at the top. I get this from every quartus command being run from the command line, not just for tcl scripts. I'm running 64-bit ubuntu 15.10. 

Because of this error, I cannot trust the Quartus toolchain on Linux. 

--- Quote End ---  

I'm having the same error and can't find any solution. I've wasted the whole Sunday trying to work this arround, does anybody have a solution? 

EDIT: never mind, I was doing the whole thing wrong. I had the wrong TOP module.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I still have the same problem on Ubuntu 16.04 with Quartus 17.0.2 unfortunately. 

What distro do you guys use for desktop use? Centos is mentioned above, which version? 

*edit* Perhaps one can experiment with running Quartus in Docker to have the proper library environment which it apparently relies on? I see that there actually exists a few containers with quartus.
0 Kudos