Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16603 Discussions

Problems with ModelSIM 2020.1 Starter Edition

Gerhard56
New Contributor I

Hi,

I finished the first version of my design and tried to simulate it. Works, but some changes requiered as usual.

Now I have to setup simulation every time from scratch. Defining the clock signal, clock periode and which signals should be in the wave panel.

As my design generate signals using a pwm, it is helpful to use the 'Analog View'. But it is boring to enter the same info over and over.

I searched the documentation how to save this settings, but no success. I only found something to save the results ... pretty fine but not helpful in my situation.

Please help me.

With best regards

Gerhard

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi Gerhard,

After making any changes to waveform like add signals, choose radix or etc in modelsim, you may save waveform format to reuse by going File -> Save Format. Will default to .do file something like …/project/simulation/modelsim/wave.do.

When you create new simulation, you can reload the waveform format by going to File -> Load -> Macro File and point to the desired .do files.

Best Regards

Sheng

p/s: If any answer from community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to mark as solution and give Kudos.

0 Kudos
Gerhard56
New Contributor I

Hi Sheng,

THAAANKS.

Worked as described.

Only one little bump in my road left. This don't restore the settings for my clock signal. I have still to right click at my clock signal and set the periode, because my periode didn't default to 100ns .. I need 83.33ns setting.

But it is much better now.

With best regards

Gerhard

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi Gerhard,

Ya that method cannot save clock period. Sorry for confusion. For clock period you can declare it in testbench like below example:

`timescale 1ns/1ps

reg clk;

test uut(
.clk(clk));

initial begin

clk = 0;

forever begin 

clk = #50 ~clk;

end

end

In this example the clock period is 100ns. You can try with 83.33ns.

Best Regards

Sheng

p/s: If any answer from community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to mark as solution and give Kudos.

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi Gerhard,

Any further update or consideration on this thread or Should I consider the case to be closed?

Best regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos