Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Program hangs on new project create

SBOYL2
Beginner

I just installed quartus lite 19.1 and tried to create a project and it never returns from the new project creation (3 hours now and still have the busy icon). Win 10 64 bit system with 12 hard drive and ssd c: drive and 16 GB memory. Quartus is installed on the d: drive and patch is installed. Any ideas on how to solve this?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Kenny_Tan

May I know what are the device that you were using? Some device require larger ram.

What I suggest is to try different machine to see if you still face this problem. Or you can do the below:

1) Can you try on different project to see if is project specific issue?

2) install currprocess https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cprocess.html and disable all the software running behind there

3) disable the anti virus

4) close all the Quartus software 

go to c:/user/<username>/  rename the quartus2.ini and quartus2.req for windows

cd to home/<user>/.altera.quartus  rename the quartus2.ini and quartus2.req for linux

and reopen the quartus. this will reset the initial setting of the quartus prime.

5) try your project in different computer to see if the problem exist? Or you can send it to me to test it out

6) did you install all the devices?

7) check if you have spaces in your directory names? If you had, try to replace the spaces with underscores.

8) delete .altera.quartus

SBOYL2
Beginner

I think that I have found the solution to the problem -- If I work on a bsf file without doing a project I had no problems until saving the file. I did some checking it seems that all the files are read-only and users can not write to any of the folders. When I changed the permissions I could now save the file and quartus asked if I wanted to create a new project which it did. Now things seem to be working ok. I have never had quartus do this before in all the years that I have used it.

RSIMP2
Beginner

Quartus defaults the project location to C:\intelFPGA_lite\19.1 which is read-only. That's a bug. It should default to e.g. the Documents directory or require you to enter a path.

Bee
Beginner

This worked for me! Thank you so much!

KhanKhuu
Beginner

A bug that still exists in Quartus 20.1. Thanks for the clarification!

The-bro
Beginner

I was having the same issue with a newer version 20.1, came here but didn't quite understand the solution, so I will attempt to make it clearer.

When you create a new project, the program asks you in which directory you want to save it. The default is something like C:\intelFPGA_lite\20.1, or with your current version replacing 20.1

All you have to do is simply change it to another directory on your device and it should work. As noted by RSIMP2, this directory is read-only which is why the program doesn't respond and the project is never created. Hope that helps!

abpt
Beginner
0 Kudos