Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16611 Discussions

QSYS 15.0 hanging (hung, wedged, locked-up etc) when loading my design

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am experiencing some troubles with 15.0 qsys-edit becoming wedged when loading my 13.1 design. The qsys editor GUI becomes completely comatose with the "open system" dialog box visible. I eventually conclude that there are no options remaining other than to fall back to kill from the linux command line in order to stop the zombie qsys-edit. I am running ACDS 15.0 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I skipped 14.1 because I heard there were crashes on Ubuntu. The following are the last gasp messages I can see in the pop-up window before the GUI locks up. I don’t observe that CPU is being consumed by java when this lock-up occurs, so the issue maybe isnt caused by an infinite loop in the qsys software. The hang appears to occur during the "validating" phase. 

Warning: periph_clk: Used clock_source 15.0 (instead of 13.1) 

Warning: irq_bridge_0: Used altera_irq_bridge 15.0 (instead of 13.1) 

Warning: ext_memory: Used altera_mem_if_ddr3_emif 15.0 (instead of 13.1) 

Warning: isolation_im: Used altera_avalon_mm_bridge 15.0 (instead of 13.1) 

Warning: tight_coupled_ram: Used altera_avalon_onchip_memory2 15.0 (instead of 13.1) 

Has anyone experienced this problem that could suggest a workaround.  

I did try increasing the JVM heap size with a command line similar to this, but this didn’t change the outcome. 

"qsys-edit --jvm-max-heap-size=2048m". 

I could submit a service request, but no doubt they will not know how to proceed unless I could send a complete copy of my design, but unfortunately I cant do that, and I suspect also their response will be that Ubuntu/Debian are not supported Linux versions at Altera.  

Jeff
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I tried Q15 on Ubuntu and crash during compiling.. I think you have to use supported OS like Red Hat

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Jeff, 

--- Quote Start ---  

I am experiencing some troubles with 15.0 qsys-edit becoming wedged when loading my 13.1 design 

--- Quote End ---  

The Qsys XML file and parameters might not be portable from 13.1 to 15.0. For example, take a look at this DE0-nano design 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45927 

I used an AlteraWiki script to convert the qsys_system.qsys XML file several versions of Quartus to Tcl, and then put conditional logic in the Tcl script. 

In your case, if you only plan on using one version of Qsys, you might want to try recreating your Qsys system from scratch using the 15.0 IP cores and see if you succeed. 

Yes, that is a complete pain and should not be required ... but you might be waiting for a response to your Service Request for a while, so you might have the time :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FWIW, I did some additionnal fault isolation on this issue and I determined that this was caused by an incomplete installation of the device support files for the 15.0, probably due to running low on disk space during the install. I resolved the disk space issues with my virtualized Ubuntu and then performed a complete reinstall of 15.0 and now the 15.0 QSYS appears to be working without issues. 

Thanks also for the suggestions that everyone has posted. 

Jeff
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FWIW, I do encounter some, java uncaught exception, issues as follows during the Quartus 15.0 "quartus_sh --64bit --flow compile" that dont appear to stop or otherwise interfeare with the build.  

Hopefully, :cool:, this type of java null pointer exceptions during the quartus compile are benign.  

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException 

at com.altera.sopceditor.tools.addressmap.AddressMapModel.updateRows(AddressMapModel.java:554) 

at com.altera.sopceditor.tools.addressmap.AddressMapModel.rebuildModel(AddressMapModel.java:412) 

at com.altera.sopceditor.tools.addressmap.AddressMapModel$1.run(AddressMapModel.java:813) 

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source) 

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) 

at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$2.run(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$4.run(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$4.run(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport.enter(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.Dialog.show(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.Component.show(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.Window.setVisible(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.Dialog.setVisible(Unknown Source) 

at com.altera.ui.app.base.EditorTaskRunner$15.run(EditorTaskRunner.java:591) 

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(Unknown Source) 

at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I warned..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

FWIW, I do encounter some, java uncaught exception, issues as follows during the Quartus 15.0 "quartus_sh --64bit --flow compile" that dont appear to stop or otherwise interfeare with the build. 

--- Quote End ---  

Try using a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox) with either Windows 7 or Centos 6.x or 7.0. If Quartus II runs fine there, then just give up using Ubuntu :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Try using a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox) with either Windows 7 or Centos 6.x or 7.0. If Quartus II runs fine there, then just give up using Ubuntu :) 

--- Quote End ---  

Yep perhaps the best thing to do, but Centos based tool chains don’t sync up often enough so I find that I am always installing packages from source for embedded software work, and I’m not certain actually that the Quartus issues I see are Ubuntu specific. I notice for example, that others are having problems installing the SIV device files on 15.0. I also see the hang in the PLL mega-wizard, but that doesn’t appear to be Ubuntu specific either.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yep perhaps the best thing to do, but Centos based tool chains don’t sync up often enough so I find that I am always installing packages from source for embedded software work, and I’m not certain actually that the Quartus issues I see are Ubuntu specific. 

--- Quote End ---  

Regardless of whether you decide to actually do any development under the Windows or Centos installation, you'll at least have another data point in your debugging :) 

--- Quote Start ---  

I notice for example, that others are having problems installing the SIV device files on 15.0. I also see the hang in the PLL mega-wizard, but that doesn’t appear to be Ubuntu specific either. 

--- Quote End ---  

I haven't noticed this on 15.0 under Windows. I haven't run a huge number of Stratix IV designs lately, but I did re-run the Transceiver Toolkit examples 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48694 

which at least implies I have the device files installed correctly. 

The key aspect of my suggestion to install Quartus under a "recommended" operating system is that if it works ok, then you know the issue is Ubuntu. If you see the same issue, then you can file a Service Request without having to mention Ubuntu. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Start qsys-edit or qmegawiz from quartus window always hung, this always happen if type one character through keyboard, much better without keyboard input. 

A work around for this is not typing to qsys-edit or qmegawiz which opened by quartus, you need open only once by quartus, do not type any thing, 

open a terminal window, use command: ps aux | grep qsys, or qmegawiz, copy the command which start qsys or qmegawiz with full arguments, 

then close the window opened by quartus, and run the command again through terminal, the new window pop up and not hung any more. 

For qmegawiz, use same command to edit exist component, for qsys-edit, open it first without any arguments, then open your *.qsys file through menu. 

Test on gentoo.
0 Kudos