Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16603 Discussions

Quartus 11.0 Qsys on Ubuntu 11.04

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just wasted a bunch of time getting Qsys working on Ubuntu and hope this saves someone else some time. 

I was getting an undiagnoseable failure during NIOS generation. It never occurred to me that the locale warnings spit out by perl were an actual problem. I fixed the locale issue just to clean up the error reports and then system generation worked. The command to fix the locale is:sudo locale-gen en_US At least it worked for me. 

The other good news is that the USB Blaster worked without any fiddling. I just opened up the programmer and it was available. I almost fainted.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks for posting the tip and for the Blaster laugh :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What was the locale setting when it had problems?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Great this fixed the issue I had ! 

It was working flowlesly with SOPC Builder but it seems QSys requires the locale to be set to en_US ! 

Thanks !
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Also note this fix is working for any release of Ubuntu and might be working with any Linux distrib which doesn't have the en_US locale available.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks thepancake and gjoli, 

I'll make development aware of this.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot for the post, worked for me too

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for this post. Fixing the locale solved my problem too!

0 Kudos
Joakim
Novice

It seems like I have a similar problem on Windows.

The QSys perl script is complaining about the locale settings and the generation fails.

I have tried to find a similar topic for Windows, but failed, so I write here.

I'm running Quartus 13.1 since it supports Cyclone III and Cyclone V at the same time.

I can generate the QSys design on Linux, but not in Windows. So I believe that it is a setting like locale in Windows that is wrong.

I have tried to set LC_ALL and LANG to en_US, en, en-US, en_US.UTF-8 etc, but none of them is recognized by perl.

Anyone that knows how it should be configured?

/ Joakim

0 Kudos