Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

Quartus 13.0sp1 on Ubuntu 15.10 - error libSM.so.6

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I've successfully installed Quartus 13.0sp1 Web Edition on Ubuntu 15.10. It also successfully automaticly opened immediately after the installation, but when I'm now trying to open the program by typing 

quartus -64bit 

I got this message: 

quartus: error while loading shared libraries: libSM.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory 

locate libSM 

shows: 

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSM.so.6 

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSM.so.6.0.1 

Could you please help me?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I've got it working on Fedora 22. In my case, the library is located in the following places: 

• /usr/lib/libSM.so.6 

• /usr/lib64/libSM.so.6 

So maybe placing a symlink from either of those locations might help? 

Also, I had to use information from the following web sites, maybe one of them might help in your case: 

(I know some of them are for Fedora, but I guess most solutions might be common). 

What's particularly interesting is the hint from the third page, which recommends to install "libsm6:i386". I don't know if the ".i386" part makes a difference. 

Best regards, 

GooGooCluster
0 Kudos
JJone
Beginner

You won't find a 32-bit version of Ubuntu to download any more, but Intel has seen fit to no longer support a 64-bit Linux version of the Quartus software. You therefore get to install 32-bit versions of some libraries, and libSM.so.6 is one of them.

sudo apt-get install libsm6:i386

did the trick for me, and should for you.

0 Kudos