Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15543 Discussions

Quartus 2 and Modelsim-Altera problem on Windows 10

DrewBaden
Beginner

When I run Modelsim-Altera from inside Quartus 2, after Elaboration, Synthesis, etc, it fails inside Modelsim-Altera and complains that rtl_work is empty. And sure enough, it is. The .do file that creates the directory is created when Modelsim starts up. Here's the output from the Modelsim-Altera transcript, below. Apparently what does is first delete rtl_work if it's already there, then vlib specifies that rtl_work will be the library directory, and then vmap maps its "work" directory to rtl_work. the program vlog then builds it. At least, that's my understanding. But the problem is that the command

vmap work rtl_work

doesn't work. It doesn't happen. So vlog cannot find it.

I don't know how vmap works, but I have feeling this is a windows 10 problem, since this worked ok when I was using windows 7.

Any help?

# Reading D:/Altera/13.1/modelsim_ase/tcl/vsim/pref.tcl 

# do top_run_msim_rtl_verilog.do 

# if {[file exists rtl_work]} {

# vdel -lib rtl_work -all

# }

# vlib rtl_work

# vmap work rtl_work

# Copying D:\Altera\13.1\modelsim_ase\win32aloem/../modelsim.ini to modelsim.ini

# Modifying modelsim.ini

# ** Warning: Copied D:\Altera\13.1\modelsim_ase\win32aloem/../modelsim.ini to modelsim.ini.

#     Updated modelsim.ini.

# vlog -vlog01compat -work work +incdir+C:/Users/drew/rpi_de3_vC {C:/Users/drew/rpi_de3_vC/uart_tx.v}

# Model Technology ModelSim ALTERA vlog 10.1d Compiler 2012.11 Nov 2 2012

# ** Error: (vlog-19) Failed to access library 'work' at "work".

# No such file or directory. (errno = ENOENT)

# ** Error: D:/Altera/13.1/modelsim_ase/win32aloem/vlog failed.

# Error in macro ./top_run_msim_rtl_verilog.do line 8

# D:/Altera/13.1/modelsim_ase/win32aloem/vlog failed.

#  while executing

# "vlog -vlog01compat -work work +incdir+C:/Users/drew/rpi_de3_vC {C:/Users/drew/rpi_de3_vC/uart_tx.v}"

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DrewBaden
Beginner

I think I found the problem. At least, I found a workaround. It might be a windows 10 issue. What I had to do is right click on the C drive, and change all the permissions to "Full Control". Then log out and log back in. Seems to work.