Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Quartus II & Max7000 Jtag Issues

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi  

I've what I thought was an easy Project in designing some logic for a EPM7128SLC Device. This is so I can use the logic to test a PCB I'm repairing. 

After Installing Quartus II (Web Version) 13.0 SP1, designing the logic & running the compiler. 

I'm receiving Fitter error messages relating to Input Pins (that i need to use these Inputs on the JTAG Pins) that are connected to all 4 JTAG Pins . 

""Error (163043): Pin "A1" is assigned to JTAG pin PIN_14, but the pin already drives a JTAG pin" etc etc. 

If I go into device pin options from the Assignments Menu and disable "Enable JTAG BST support" then the logic will compile without issues. 

However, the only way I can program this device at present is with a JTAG usb blaster & if i disable the JTAG BST support i can't open the programmer from within Quartus II. 

Alternatively I've tried generating the aasembler files as hex files, but these are greyed out from the programming options. 

Another workaround I tried was converting the .pof file to hex, but the compiler doesn't create any SRAM (.sof) files for me to input into the Convertor. 

Any help would be apprecisted. 

Regards 

Brian
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is this a pretty old design? I suspect you have a design which relied on a stand alone programmer to configure the CPLD before it was assembled onto the PCB. MAX7000S devices could be programmed using a number of different programmers, made by both Altera and third parties. If the JTAG pins have been put to use as part of the original design then, I suspect, the device was originally programmed in such a manner. 

Refer to the, pretty ancient, "altera programming hardware (http://www.altera.com/literature/ds/dspghd.pdf)" document. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos