Hi,As the title states, my design can compile just fine if I remove the .stp file from the project. I want to test the design running on the board before I started connecting to other modules. I add an .stp, set the clock, trigger and nodes to observe. Then I have to recompile / rapid recompile. My compilation stops when it gets to 'saving pre-synthesis snapshots for 2 partition(s)' I did some googling and found that some people have said related issues can occur if there are multiple pin assignments to the same pin - I don't think that applies here as I've checked my .qsf file. Here is the report: Problem Details Error: *** Fatal Error: Access Violation at 0X00007FF81A7F373E Module: quartus_syn.exe Stack Trace: 0x2373d: QHD_DATABASE_UTILS::IMPL::delete_temp_models + 0x1bd (comp_qhd) 0x4de07: QIS_RTL_STAGE::IMPL::save + 0x3b7 (synth_qis) 0x4e8fc: QIS_RTL_STAGE::IMPL::save_design + 0x93c (synth_qis) 0x170eb: qis_save_rtl_design + 0x1db (synth_qis) 0x161e2: TclNRRunCallbacks + 0x62 (tcl86) 0x17a65: TclEvalEx + 0xa65 (tcl86) 0xa6f8b: Tcl_FSEvalFileEx + 0x22b (tcl86) 0xa5646: Tcl_EvalFile + 0x36 (tcl86) 0x12606: qexe_evaluate_tcl_script + 0x376 (comp_qexe) 0x11864: qexe_do_tcl + 0x334 (comp_qexe) 0x16755: qexe_run_tcl_option + 0x585 (comp_qexe) 0x37e33: qcu_run_tcl_option + 0x1003 (comp_qcu) 0x160aa: qexe_run + 0x39a (comp_qexe) 0x16e51: qexe_standard_main + 0xc1 (comp_qexe) 0x3e63: qsyn2_main + 0x123 (quartus_syn) 0x13328: msg_main_thread + 0x18 (CCL_MSG) 0x14b0e: msg_thread_wrapper + 0x6e (CCL_MSG) 0x15b00: mem_thread_wrapper + 0x70 (ccl_mem) 0x12a11: msg_exe_main + 0xa1 (CCL_MSG) 0x4fda: __tmainCRTStartup + 0x10e (quartus_syn) 0x11fe3: BaseThreadInitThunk + 0x13 (KERNEL32) 0x6efc0: RtlUserThreadStart + 0x20 (ntdll) End-trace Executable: quartus_syn Comment: None System Information Platform: windows64 OS name: Windows 10 OS version: 10.0 Quartus Prime Information Address bits: 64 Version: 16.1.0 Build: 196 Edition: Pro Edition Thanks for your time ap29
This happens occasionally. Try deleting the db folders to start a clean compilation. If the problem continues, there's probably a specific problem in your design, or you have revealed a Quartus bug.
I have internal error with 17.1 and 16.0 (but in other file). It was because in Signaltap were added signals from chain of triggers, that can automaticaly replace with shift register. Without stp no errors, with internal error. When i turn of "Auto Shift Register Replacement" in Compiler Settings -> Advanced Settings (Syntesis), i have no errors. Check this option or others replacement options.
Thanks for the tips guys. I was able to fix the problem by creating an identical but new project. I think this may be due to device/license changing after project conception. When I made a new project with the license I needed from the start, everything worked fine.