We rencently converted our ModelSIM licences from node locked to floating.
The newly generated licence file now contains our Quartus and ModelSIM licences.
The Quartus licences appear to function correctly.
However ModelSIM is unable to check out a licence.
When launching VSIM (ModelSIM) the following error is displayed:
‘Unable to checkout a license. Vsim is closing.
** Error: Invalid license environment. Application closing.’
Using LMTOOLS diagnostics we find numerous errors similar to the following, for both daemons (mgcld/alterad).
"mgcvipae" v2022.04, vendor: mgcld, expiry: 20-apr-2022
License server: <hostname>
floating license starts: 21-apr-2021, expires: 20-apr-2022
No such feature exists.
License path: C:\Program Files (x86)\flexnet\quartus\licensing\License-combined.dat;
FlexNet Licensing error:-5,147
Can you provide the following:
- Debug.log file
- Screen shot of error message
- Your machine OS
- Your Quartus version
- License.dat file
I'll send you a private message too so you can send the files there for confidentiality purposes.
Thanks for providing the items I requested. Can you perform the following checks:
- Make sure the NIC ID is from a physical NIC card, not virtual ID.
- Make sure the daemon executable paths are correctly set. From the licensing manual it should be under: "<installation-directory>\bin64\alterad.exe" which is different from your license file. Look for the daemon files in your server and set it to that.
- Is your license file saved in this path: "<drive>:\flexlm" If not, please save it there as it is the preferred location.
- Did you follow all the steps to set up floating license? Available here at section 4.3.5: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/manual/quartus_install.pdf#...
- Could you try restarting or performing a full reboot of your server?
Remember that each time you make changes in your license file you need to restart your server.
- The NIC ID is correct or none of the licences would be working
- The daemon paths are correct...
- This is evident in the logs as the diagnostics file reports the daemon is running but the licences/feature cannot be checked out
- We do not use the default path; however we tried for the sake of testing with no change in the results
If this was an issue none of the licences would be working.
- The server has been restarted with no success.
Being a production server with more than just Quartus/ModelSim licences outages need to be planned.
We stop and start the service between any licence file changes. This is ample for the service to reread and reload the licence file.
As can be seen in the diagnostics file the daemons are running correctly and the issue relates to the use of specific licences.
Case has been resolved by customer. Issue was solved by enabling firewall to open the ports for the mgcld daemon.
With that, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.
PS: If you find any comment from the community or Intel Support to be helpful, feel free to give Kudos.