Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16603 Discussions

Quartus Prime Lite SignalTap II Logic Analyzer usable with MAX V?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

In the spec sheet on the MAX V CPLD is says "You can debug your MAX V designs using In-System Sources and Probes Editor in the Quartus II software. This feature allows you to easily control any internal signaland provides you with a completely dynamic debugging environment." But when I try to use the SignalTap II Logic Analyzer in Quartus Prime on a MAX V through a USB Blaster clone I get the message "SignalTap II is not supported for the current device" 

I am using Quartus Prime Lite running on Ubuntu Linux. 

What am I missing? 

If you have any questions or suggestions please let me know. 

Thanks 

Roger50310
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Some USB blaster clones don't support everything that signaltap needs. This might be your problem.

0 Kudos
Knug
Beginner

Is this the case? Signal Tap only supported for FPGAs instead of CPLDs (eg MAX V).  

Seen in a Video that ELA only works with FPGA designs and not CPLDs because of the availability of memory in Intel FPGA devices. It stated need available LBs to implement the Logic Analyzer itself + Memory blocks to store/capture data samples.

Was looking today to add signal Tap to check my design but looks like this is not feasible for MAX V device. Please confirm

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply Galfonz

0 Kudos