Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15563 Discussions

Quartus Prime Standard 18.1 fails to program my Stratix V GX FPGA board

JWrig25
Beginner

I am trying to program a Stratix V GX FPGA using Quartus Prime, but whenever I get to the Programmer window and select auto detect I get an error "Unable to scan device chain. On-board programming hardware is disabled." My board is powered, ON, and connected to my laptop via a Micro USB to USB A cable. I was following a tutorial https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-program-your-first-fpga-device that teaches how to program with Quartus, it uses a different board as an example so I have tried to make it work for mine but I have issues when it comes to running the programmer, I instantly get a failed status. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
User1573261788318367

Can you actually see your Stratix V device on the JTAG chain? If not, you have misconfigured your project. Another possibility is that indeed the on-board JTAG is disabled. This can happen when the board configurations pins are configured to use some pre-built image loaded via flash memory or even board DDR RAM. Double-check the board manual to check if there are DIP switches that control the configuration mode.