Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Quartus and redhat 8

SKinz
Novice

Has anyone run into an issue starting Quartus 21.3 or later on a RHEL 8.4 server and having the IP catalog take a really long time to load? The GUI starts normally and I can start design compilation but the IP catalog to generate new IP seems to hang for quite some time. I'm ssh'ing into the machine with X-window forwarding from another server which we use as gui desktop front end.

The reason for a second machine is that even with XFCE the video card emulation for a desktop takes a lot of resources and we're designing with the biggest Stratix 10 and need to dedicate lots of processors and ram to get reasonable compilation times which are still in the hours range.

Skip

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SyafieqS

Is it only IP catalog that keep loading for sometime? No other feature like opening qsys, timing analyzer etc?

Did you have enough memory for the machine to build S10 devices?

0 Kudos
SKinz
Novice

Sorry about the delay. No, as far as we can tell the issue is just the IP catalog. I've run into issues like this in the past where something is trying to pop open a window and can't and things hang.

In this case we ssh into the machine from a x-term and use x-window forwarding (X11 forwarding) to forward the gui to the machine running a program called Fastx, similar to VNC. We do not VNC into the machine in question because modern desktops use too many resources. I can run a desktop from the console so will try that.

As for the machine, it is a brand new Dell server with 256G of RAM and two high-end multi-core Xeon processors. It is plenty big enough. I'll try logging into the console to get the desktop (gnome3 in this case) to see if I see the same.

The interesting thing is that the other machine running three sessions of Fastx and a XFCE desktop does not have this issue. We normally do everything else, like simulation, on this machine to avoid the resource problem with modern desktops running under VNC like programs. The IP catalog opens fine. This is what makes me think there is some issue between QT, the Quartus GUI, and not x-window forwarding under Redhat 8.4.

I'm updating another machine to ubuntu 22.04 and will try the same with XFCE, Quartus, and x-window forwarding. The only reason we run RHEL 8 is because our simulator, Questa, has issues with the versions gcc and certain uses of C++, system C and system verilog in our simulations. We generally are using the biggest parts (S10 Agilex) and stuffing them full so we have some pretty complex logic.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

May I know if there is any update from previous reply?

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Understood. This I will put this to close pending. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos