Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16592 Discussions

Quartus crash on .qsf update?

AEsqu
Novice

Hello,

I suffered issue with Quartus crashing when I use the signal tap.

As a workaround I do the modifications with signal tap, save it and run quartus p and r.

When this is done, I close quartus and re-open it to be able to open signal tap again.

If I open signal tap directly, quartus crashes.

Now, I was opening a quartus project right now and edited the .qsf manually (commenting few lines),

on saving it with the text editor, quartus crashed (error popup window under linux).

So I'm wondering if Quartus is actually not crashing because the signal tap saves the settings (nodes to probes, blaster info, ...) and that quartus is disturbed by that.

Normally Quartus always reload the ,qsf to check for any changes, prior to a new run,

but there are maybe race conditions that makes it un-stable.

Just saying, if that can help Intel to make Quartus more robust and solve a lot of issue because of this .qsf modifications, that would be great.

Have a nice day.

Alex.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SyafieqS

Hi Alex,

Is there any error message for the crash? Please attach it here and the qar design to reproduce the issue at my end.

Is this issue intermittently occur?

0 Kudos
AEsqu
Novice

I think Intel engineers should pro actively look at the Quartus code that handles the .qsf update, and look for possible issue with that,

without waiting for a way to reproduce it (cannot share the design).

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

It sounds like a bad installation.  I'd just try uninstalling and reinstalling Quartus to see if that fixes things.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi,

May I know if uninstall and install resolve the isse? 

Without the error message and replication issue, it is hard to debug any further as more information needed. 

0 Kudos
AEsqu
Novice

Oh, it was not even a joke?

I'm expecting way better reply from Intel than asking for a re-installation of the tool.

I gave some info about possible root crash cause about that .qsf but it just get ignored,

so let's stop the discussion,

it will lead to the void (as most of the time since Intel acquired Altera).

PS: At least your new Intel Raptor 13900k CPU rocks, I love it.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Uh, OK.  But a re-installation may be all that's necessary to fix the issue and is a common troubleshooting technique.  And I'm providing a suggestion as a frequent user of the tool.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

May I know if there is any update from my previous reply?

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos