Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

Quartus fitter ignores the RTL generated by the synthesis

jch4416
New Contributor I

Hello,

I am getting started with a simple Verilog project for a CPLD.  The first thing I have to implement is a clock divider for the 50MHz clock on my eval board. My code works when I place it directly in the top level module. The design uses 30 of the available 240 LEs.  However when I place the same code in a separate module and instantiate the clock divider module, the fitter reports using 0 LEs and the code does nothing. But in the RTL Viewer, I can see the clock divider module and the synthesis report says it used 30 LEs.

It doesn't matter if I put the clock divider module in a separate file or in the top level file.

Has anyone seen this type of thing before?

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jch4416
New Contributor I

I found the issue that was causing the fitter to ignore all the RTL, but I could use some help understanding it. 

In the top module, I defined a reg variable called reset_n that I wanted to use as a master power on reset. Then I had an initial block in the top module to assert and de-assert the reset_n.

initial
begin
reset_n <= `LO;
#10 reset_n <= `HI;
end

This worked fine when I put the clock_divider() code directly into the top module.

But when I tried to instantiate clock divider modules, I put reset_n into their port lists and the fitter gave me a message like "reset_n has no source, setting to GND". With reset_n always asserted, the clock_divider produced no clock output so it was apparently optimized out.

Any ideas why this happened? Can I not define an internal power on reset? Perhaps I don't need to? I had the "POWER UP DON'T CARE" setting  OFF. I had read this causes all registers to initialize to 0

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
SyafieqS

Hi Jim,

By default, it should be working if you place direct or separate module. May I know what type and version of Quartus you are using? Can you attach the design files for both place module directly and separately. I will try to duplicate it.

Thanks,

Regards

0 Kudos
jch4416
New Contributor I

Thanks for your help Syafieq. I have attached 2 zip files. Both contain the .qsf and .qfp files. the

The Proj_separate_modules archive has 2 Verilog files, one for the top level module and one for the clock divider. the top level instantiates the clock divider. This project compiles without errors and the synthesis produces RTL which uses 34 logic elements. But the fitter doesn't place anything on the chip.

The Proj_one_module archive pastes the code from the clock divider module directly into the body of the top module. And produces a working programmable for the cpld with 34 LEs fitted.

The variable master_8mhz_clk is actually being used for a 50MHz clock on my eval board. The target hardware will use 8MHz.

Jim

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Your instantiation is incorrect.  You're missing an instance name.  And while it's not part of the issue, best practice is to do a full port mapping.  So it should look like this:

clock_divider u1 (.clk_in(master_8mhz_clk), .reset_n(reset_n), .clk_out(test_led));

0 Kudos
jch4416
New Contributor I

Thanks, I must have forgotten to put it in when putting together the different versions. But it still worked.

Any thoughts on the main problem?

0 Kudos
jch4416
New Contributor I

I am doubly wrong, sorry. That is the version that doesn't work

0 Kudos
jch4416
New Contributor I

Hi Syafieq,

I am using the Quartus Prime Lite edition, v20.1.0 Build711.

Thanks for your help,

Jim

0 Kudos
jch4416
New Contributor I

I found the issue that was causing the fitter to ignore all the RTL, but I could use some help understanding it. 

In the top module, I defined a reg variable called reset_n that I wanted to use as a master power on reset. Then I had an initial block in the top module to assert and de-assert the reset_n.

initial
begin
reset_n <= `LO;
#10 reset_n <= `HI;
end

This worked fine when I put the clock_divider() code directly into the top module.

But when I tried to instantiate clock divider modules, I put reset_n into their port lists and the fitter gave me a message like "reset_n has no source, setting to GND". With reset_n always asserted, the clock_divider produced no clock output so it was apparently optimized out.

Any ideas why this happened? Can I not define an internal power on reset? Perhaps I don't need to? I had the "POWER UP DON'T CARE" setting  OFF. I had read this causes all registers to initialize to 0

0 Kudos
RRomano001
New Contributor I

Hello, take care this is a VHDL oriented and is long time is no more using a CPLD.

Your design has no external reset pin and delay is just useful for simulation not synthesis.

Again your module is sensing at same time both negative edge of Reset_n and positive of clock, this is a non synthesis reason. This  require dual edge flip flop not present on CPLD nor FPGA.7

CPLD FF can be reset in async way, FPGA one prefer to be synced to main clock. Move reset forward as level under clock control.

CPLD's carry limited resources and using sync reset if not natively supported consume 2 FF instead of one. This  case require controlling reset by level not edge. Move as level in front of clock control.

Using delay get sentence to be optimized out most of time from synthesis.

MaxII MaxV perform internal POR reset, but no idea how to instantiate or if useable on design.

About similar issue yes but your is due to error in design.

Mine got from intermixing VHDL and Verilog module, sometimes port signals of correctly designed (working too) where randomly corrupted but on complex design and QSYS control. This the reason I analysed your design, nothing to do what I seen my side.

0 Kudos
jch4416
New Contributor I

Thank you, this is very helpful

0 Kudos
RRomano001
New Contributor I

forgot answer this:

>> Any ideas why this happened? Can I not define an internal power on reset? Perhaps I don't need to? I had the "POWER UP DON'T CARE" setting OFF. I had read this causes all registers to initialize to 0

Yes it initialize to 0 at Power up and never after. Preload is done one time, reset has to be added in some way.

Your design appear as more MCU centric than CPLD, maybe you converted some software from C language to (System)Verilog. Warning, it resemble C but is it NOT! Verilog is an HDL language, sentences get executed in parallel not sequentially.

To save you time, MAX V similar part is cheap, take care about pin assignment: is close but not same.

0 Kudos
jch4416
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

"initial" blocks are not generally synthesizable.  You should always include reset logic in an always block, not an initial block.

jch4416
New Contributor I

Thanks, that's the type of info that really helps. I haven't written Verilog in 13 years, and I wasn't an expert then.

0 Kudos