Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

Quartus_map.exe is running out of memory (~50 GB) with an SRAM initialization file

DLaff
Beginner

I am trying to synthesize a 64 KB on-chip SRAM (used as a ROM for holding the bootloader for the arm MPU) for a Cyclone V, with an Intel Hex format initialization file. The system requirements for this chip only lists 8 GB of system RAM, and I have 16 GB, but the quartus_map.exe subprogram crashes attempting to use 50 GB of memory. Why does it use so much when trying to synthesize an SRAM with initialization file? This problem does not happen if I do not proivde an initialization file to the SRAM.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DLaff
Beginner

Update: I was able to successfully synthesize by setting the Type 04 record at the beginning of the .hex file (Extended Linear Address) to zero. It must have been trying to fit addresses greater than 64KB into the SRAM, and failing. Will update if this actually worked for booting from the FPGA.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Could you provide the design and steps to reproduce the error?

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
DLaff
Beginner

I ended up solving this problem by changing the Type 04 Record as mentioned above, but was not able to successfully boot the preloader from FPGA SRAM. I altered the design to just use an SD card, which works.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

It is glad to hear that it is working now.

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos