Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Quartus won't let me use Signal Tap. Can't elaborate "sld_hub:auto_hub"

aakkü
Novice

Hello,

I've been dealing debugging issues for quite a while with my FPGA design.

I had to use Signal Tap for advanced debugging, but for some reason it can't be used.

I am just following the tutorials on youtube about how to use the signal tap tool, but I always get the error that I posted at the end of this thread. Things I have tried so far: reinstallin the quartus with fresh windows 10, trying different versions of quartus, trying on different computers (total of 4). In all of these cases I have the same error.

I am just trying to get singal tap working. Using the "Signal Tap Logic Analyzer" section in "Tools" section in quartus, when I set it up and try to compile it I always get the error (see below)

More than a year I posted a similar problem here: https://forums.intel.com/s/feed/0D50P00004DAgF9SAL

As you can see it's not solved and not even a single useful suggestion was given.

PLEASE FOR THE OF GOD TRY TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM THIS TIME. Many similar problems was posted as I see and not even single solution was provided.

Lastly, for the love of god don't tell it "it works on my computer can please reinstall quartus" because it was told million times and it didn't solve anything.

I also share .qar file.

Plase understand my frustration and I believe all of you that you can solve this problem.

Many many thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ERROR:

Error (11176): Set_instance_parameter_value: There is no parameter named DESIGN_HASH on instance alt_sld_fab

Error (11176): Alt_sld_fab.: version not allowed for EModuleProperty, must be in {[DESCRIPTION, NAME, VERSION, MODULE_TCL_FILE, MODULE_DIRECTORY, INTERNAL, HIDE_FROM_SOPC, HIDE_FROM_QSYS, HIDE_FROM_QUARTUS, OPAQUE_ADDRESS_MAP, GROUP, AUTHOR, ICON_PATH, DISPLAY_NAME, DATASHEET_URL, TOP_LEVEL_HDL_FILE, TOP_LEVEL_HDL_MODULE, INSTANTIATE_IN_SYSTEM_MODULE, EDITABLE, VALIDATION_CALLBACK, EDITOR_CALLBACK, ELABORATION_CALLBACK, GENERATION_CALLBACK, COMPOSITION_CALLBACK, PARAMETER_UPGRADE_CALLBACK, OUTDATED_IP_FILE, ANALYZE_HDL, STATIC_TOP_LEVEL_MODULE_NAME, FIX_110_VIP_PATH, SUPPORTED_DEVICE_FAMILIES, REPORT_TO_TALKBACK, ALLOW_GREYBOX_GENERATION, SUPPRESS_WARNINGS, STRUCTURAL_COMPOSITION_CALLBACK, NATIVE_INTERPRETER, PREFERRED_SIMULATION_LANGUAGE, REPORT_HIERARCHY, UPGRADEABLE_FROM]}

Error (12154): Can't elaborate inferred hierarchy "sld_hub:auto_hub"

Error: Quartus Prime Analysis & Synthesis was unsuccessful. 3 errors, 10 warnings

Error: Peak virtual memory: 4855 megabytes

Error: Processing ended: Sun Jun 07 12:42:06 2020

Error: Elapsed time: 00:00:30

Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:56

Error (293001): Quartus Prime Full Compilation was unsuccessful. 5 errors, 10 warnings

0 Kudos
19 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Unfortunately, I'm not getting this error either when I compile your design.

What are the messages that appear just before the error you posted, especially the warnings that are mentioned above? They can help clue into where in your design is the issue.

Have you tried compiling with Signal Tap disabled? Is that successful?

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
aakkü
Novice

Hello,

When I disable the signal tap it works with no problem. I checked the warnings, but there isn't seem to be anything unusual. But here is the list of warnings I get:

warnings:

--------------------------------------

Warning (18236): Number of processors has not been specified which may cause overloading on shared machines. Set the global assignment NUM_PARALLEL_PROCESSORS in your QSF to an appropriate value for best performance.

Warning (10036): Verilog HDL or VHDL warning at USB3_if.vhd(39): object "FT601_debug_signal" assigned a value but never read

Warning (10036): Verilog HDL or VHDL warning at USB3_if.vhd(47): object "usb_rx_busy" assigned a value but never read

Warning (10036): Verilog HDL or VHDL warning at USB3_if.vhd(51): object "usb_tx_busy" assigned a value but never read

Warning (10036): Verilog HDL or VHDL warning at USB3_if.vhd(56): object "rx_DATA_BE" assigned a value but never read

Warning (10036): Verilog HDL or VHDL warning at USB3_if.vhd(57): object "tx_DATA" assigned a value but never read

Warning (10036): Verilog HDL or VHDL warning at USB3_if.vhd(58): object "TX_DATA_BE" assigned a value but never read

Warning (10036): Verilog HDL or VHDL warning at USB3_if.vhd(67): object "rx_FIFO_ae" assigned a value but never read

Warning (10036): Verilog HDL or VHDL warning at USB3_if.vhd(68): object "rx_FIFO_af" assigned a value but never read

Warning (10036): Verilog HDL or VHDL warning at USB3_if.vhd(69): object "rx_FIFO_empty" assigned a value but never read

Warning (10036): Verilog HDL or VHDL warning at USB3_if.vhd(70): object "rx_FIFO_full" assigned a value but never read

Warning (10036): Verilog HDL or VHDL warning at USB3_if.vhd(77): object "rx_BE_FIFO_empty" assigned a value but never read

Warning (10036): Verilog HDL or VHDL warning at USB3_if.vhd(78): object "rx_BE_FIFO_full" assigned a value but never read

Warning (10036): Verilog HDL or VHDL warning at USB3_if.vhd(83): object "tx_FIFO_aclr" assigned a value but never read

Warning (10540): VHDL Signal Declaration warning at FT601_245_FIFO.vhd(18): used explicit default value for signal "FT_RESET_N" because signal was never assigned a value

Warning (10540): VHDL Signal Declaration warning at FT601_245_FIFO.vhd(19): used explicit default value for signal "FT_WAKEUP" because signal was never assigned a value

Warning (10541): VHDL Signal Declaration warning at FT601_245_FIFO.vhd(37): used implicit default value for signal "debug_signal" because signal was never assigned a value or an explicit default value. Use of implicit default value may introduce unintended design optimizations.

Warning (10036): Verilog HDL or VHDL warning at FT601_245_FIFO.vhd(54): object "FT_WR_buf" assigned a value but never read

Warning (10492): VHDL Process Statement warning at FT601_245_FIFO.vhd(65): signal "reset_n" is read inside the Process Statement but isn't in the Process Statement's sensitivity list

Warning (11175): Alt_sld_fab.alt_sld_fab: This module has no ports or interfaces

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Not just the warnings. I want to see the messages just before the errors to see what the compiler was doing.

#iwork4intel

aakkü
Novice

OK.

I attached the file. I hope this what you want. The file includes every messega I get.

0 Kudos
aakkü
Novice

I tried to compile it on quaruts 19 as well and didn't make any difference.

I am using quartus 18.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

This is very strange. Comparing side-by-side the messages you got against what I got when the design compiled successfully, the main issue seems to be the synthesis of alt_sld_fab, which is an encrypted IP used to connect Signal Tap to the JTAG. So normally, I would recommend reinstalling everything, blah, blah, blah but you've already tried that and it still didn't work.

What is the directory path to where this project is located? If it's really long, try shortening the path and removing any spaces that may be in it. Longshot: also check write permissions just in case. Maybe something in the OS is preventing reading or writing of the IP files.

I noticed that your .stp file is located in the output_files directory for some reason. I doubt that's the issue since it compiled fine for me, but try bringing it up one level to the project directory.

Try these things and report back. This is really strange.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
aakkü
Novice

Based on your suggestion I tried to move the project to different location, but it didn't make any difference. I even tried moving directly to C driver (the shortest possible path), but didn't work. My quaruts is installed at "C:\intelFPGA_lite" I think this is the default location.

The location of .stp file also didn't make any difference.

I checked the permissions, there is nothing preventing OS from writing, reading or anything else to quartus directories.

What really strage is that I tried to run it on different computers and I get the same error. A few people here had the same problem and none of them was solved. BUMMER!

I don't know what to blame? Encryption???

What do I do next? I think someone from intel called me today, it was early in the morning and I was driving and couldn't talk. They didn't call me back. :D

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Well, the next thing I'd try is recreating the .stp file from scratch because it's what causes alt_sld_fab to be synthesized. First, disable Signal Tap in the project settings, then close and reopen the project. Then, create a brand new .stp file, choosing to enable Signal Tap in the project when you save the file. Again, I didn't have a failure when I compiled with the existing .stp, so I don't know if this will do anything for you.

I'm not sure why, but maybe even the signals you are tapping are causing the issue. See if you can compile with an empty .stp file. If that works, re-add the signals you're tapping group by group. I doubt this is the issue or will do anything, but I don't know what else to try.

Is the board with the device you are using currently attached to the machine you are using to compile? Again, that shouldn't cause any issues, but try disconnecting it before compilation.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
aakkü
Novice

I tried different examples with different . stp files, but I still get the same errors. Even the ones from design store causes the same problem, so it has nothing to do with the content of the .stp file.

I am just trying to compile the design, I don't know what board has to do with errors, but I tried anyway and nothing changed.

I don't event know what is going on right now. 😪

0 Kudos
aakkü
Novice

I am going to try setting up a virtual environement and try to running on linux.

Maybe that'll work.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Alrepen,

I tried to compile the design using latest version 19.1 Lite and cannot reproduce the error. Even with and without stp and did it several times. I suspect this error might be related to Quartus SW itself at your side could be due to installation issue etc. Did you have multiple Quartus installed in your machine? Not recommended to do so. Also make sure your OS compatible and up to date. I will try to run it in Linux if it is OS issue.

0 Kudos
aakkü
Novice

Yes I did try multiple versions on different computers. Single version of quartus is installed at any given time.

I am using windows 10 right now and I consistently get the same error.

Tried to reinstall many times, no luck...

0 Kudos
aakkü
Novice

Hello,

I don't understand what exactly to do. What it actually means by quartus archieve? Do I have to delete all the files that starts with "sld_" in the quartus installation files?

The installation files also includes lots of files with "alt_sld" prefix do I touch those?

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Alperen,

This workaround might be little bit weird try to change your operating system language of your language to English according to this reference forum case and recompile it.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00003yyTZPSA2/altsldfab-error

0 Kudos
aakkü
Novice
0 Kudos
aakkü
Novice

Absolutely nothing worked.

Not a even single thing changed.

0 Kudos
aakkü
Novice

It works with no problems on ubuntu even in virtual machine.

The problem has obviously something to do with OS.

I think language packages has something to do with this. I'll keep you informed when I install windows 10 with no language packages. Right now I'm using Turkish version of Windows 10, next time when I reinstall windows I try to install US version.

If it fixes anything I let you know.

For now I keep using linux.

0 Kudos
aakkü
Novice

I using Ubuntu right now which is very painful, being a windows user for a very long time, but it works.

I think it has to do with my windows version. I am going re-install windows to my computer with no langueage package. I let you know if it works... or not.

Right now you can just close the case.

Thanks!

0 Kudos