Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

QuartusII 7.1 Slow To Start Processing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I installed and began using QuartusII 7.1 last week. I noticed yesterday that everytime I click one of the GUI process buttons or select a Process to start in the Processing->Start-> submenu, the actual processing can take up to three minutes to begin. The WinXP Task Manager shows that quartus.exe is using about 4% of the total processing capacity of the workstation. The majority of the remaining time is spent in Idle. I have also noticed that there is a lot of network activity (icon in the Notification area of the task bar) during the time I am waiting for the processing to begin. The network activity stops as soon as the processing begins 

System: 

Two 3.0GHz Dual Core Xeon Dell Precision 690 

WindowsXP SP2 

Local License Server: 

lmgrd 8.2.1.0 

alterad 8.4 

I have both 6.1 and 7.1 installed on my workstation. The 6.1 version does not exhibit this behavior. 

I don't remember this being an issue until I set the Maximum processors allowed to parallel compilation to 3. I have since set it back to 1, restarted QuartusII 7.1, and rebooted my workstation. None of this has helped. 

Has anyone else observed this behavior?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is yor internet connection speed, and do you have TalkBack enabled? 

Slow internet? and Talkback on might be effecting you? 

Just a guess. 

File a MySuppport Service Request?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestions. I have TalkBack enabled for both 6.1 and 7.1. 6.1 doesn't exhibit the delay that 7.1 does. 

I have submitted an SRR, but I haven't heard anything so far. 

I am thinking it might have something to do with the versions of the license server, which is managed by another group.
0 Kudos