Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Query Kernel names and address with mmd user APIs.

KLee24
Beginner

I am currently making a program using mmd library user API since the program will use custom platform of mine. Problem is this. I still use aoc compiled .cl kernels for device execution and if i make kernels more than two, it seems address are not aligned in order i wrote the code so i have to manually find out their order. OpenCL uses kernel name to set arguments and enqueue so I thought there must be some space storing that information on device and I could query. Anybody got a clue?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MelvinSwee_T_Intel

Hi,

I am reviewing all the open questions on the forums and found this thread of yours. I apologize that no one seems to answer this question that you posted. Since it has been a few days since you posted this question, I am wondering if you have found the answer? If not, I can assign someone to assist you. Let me know. Thanks.

Regards,

Melvin

0 Kudos
KLee24
Beginner
Hi melvin thank you for your kindness. Unfortunately I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I did found out that kernel argument address are ordered in exact order I wrote in cl kernel file. But I was not able to query kernel names with mmd apis. So it will be super helpful if you can assign someone to help me. 2018년 10월 9일 (화) 오후 2:27, Intel Forums <supportreplies@intel.com>님이 작성:
0 Kudos
MuhammadAr_U_Intel

Hi,

Can you elaborate your use case where you need to use the Kernel name and address ?

Preferably specify the API you are trying to use.

Thanks,

Arslan

0 Kudos
KLee24
Beginner
Oh Sorry for my late reply. The reason why i want to query kernel names is this. I do use FPGA kernel code written in OpenCL but due to some hardware structure change, I can't use ordinary OpenCL host API's in my host code. So instead, i am currently working on using aocl_mmd_read,write,etc API's to send and receive data such as kernel arguments, input,output,etc(ref. https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/documentation/ewa1402666946838.html) . But the problem is that in order to do this procedure, I have to know the exact order of kernels written in OpenCL device code. This is highly inconvenient because my ultimate goal is to mimic OpenCL host API's and make it work on my custom hardware design so I thought it would be very helpful if I can query kernel addresses via its' name and wondered how OpenCL host API does that. Umm... I think this is pretty much it. If there's more that you need to know please let me know. Thank you for your kindness! Best , Kyungchae 2018년 10월 10일 (수) 오후 7:30, Intel Forums <supportreplies@intel.com>님이 작성:
0 Kudos
MuhammadAr_U_Intel

Hi,

Actually I am wondering, what are the hardware changes that is causing the use of ordinary OpenCL host API's ?

I am afraid what you are asking isn't supported. Kernel address mappings are software defined and vary for different kernels, with different pragmas/attributes, and different neighboring kernels. Hence there’s no formula for this.

Thanks,

Arslan

0 Kudos