Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Questa 2020.1: Error: (vsim-3296) Unknown option '-restore'

alexislms
Valued Contributor I

I'm trying to restore a checkpoint of a very long simulation using

$ vsim -restore checkpoint 
Reading pref.tcl
** Error: (vsim-3296) Unknown option '-restore'.
Use the -help option for complete vsim usage.
Errors: 1, Warnings: 0

From the Questa SIM Command Reference Manual:

restore
Restores the state of a simulation that was saved with a checkpoint command during the current
invocation of vsim (a “warm restore”).
Syntax
restore <pathname>
Description
The restored items are: simulation kernel state, vsim.wlf file, HDL objects listed in the List and
Wave windows, file pointer positions for files opened under VHDL and under Verilog $fopen,
and the saved state of foreign architectures.
Use this command to restore while running vsim. To start up vsim and simultaneously restore a
previously-saved checkpoint, use vsim -restore (called a "cold restore").

The last line: `use vsim -restore`.

Opening vsim and then "restore checkpoint": ("checkpoint" is the filename)

alexislms_0-1653462405722.png

$ vsim -help restore
Model Technology ModelSim - INTEL FPGA STARTER EDITION vsim 2020.1 Simulator 2020.02 Feb 28 2020
** Error (suppressible): (vsim-13356) Option "restore" is unrecognized Category for vsim tool.

What am I missing?

Regards,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SyafieqS

Alexis,

Are you using Modelsim or Questasim?

The reason is from the image you attached seem like you are using Modelsim as mentioned

""Model Technology ModelSim - INTEL FPGA STARTER EDITION vsim 2020.1 Simulator 2020.02 Feb 28 2020""

""Modelsim>""

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SyafieqS

Alexis,

As Questa is quite new to Quartus this might be a limitation.

Let me try to reproduce the issue and let you know.

0 Kudos
alexislms
Valued Contributor I

Hi @SyafieqS , this has nothing to do with Quartus, it's a questa/modelsim feature documented in its user manual.

Please let me know since we need to be able to open results of a long running simulation in another computer, and eventually continue the simulation.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Alexis,

Are you using Modelsim or Questasim?

The reason is from the image you attached seem like you are using Modelsim as mentioned

""Model Technology ModelSim - INTEL FPGA STARTER EDITION vsim 2020.1 Simulator 2020.02 Feb 28 2020""

""Modelsim>""

0 Kudos
alexislms
Valued Contributor I

The PATH might have been mixed... (simulated and snapshot saved with Questa but tried to open it on a desktop with modelsim in the path...)

Sorry about that @SyafieqS ! Let me try again with Questa. 

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Alexis.

Sure let me know if the issue still persist or any update

0 Kudos
alexislms
Valued Contributor I

@SyafieqS I've tried with Quartus and it has worked! Modelsim doesn't support this feature.

Please feel free to close this ticket.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

p/s: If any answer from community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to mark as solution and give Kudos.