Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

QuestaSim - Intel FPGA Edition GUI closes unexpectedly

AlexBeasley
New Contributor I

Hi there,

I have a problem with QuestaSim - Intel FGPA Edition as follows:

I have a simulation that I wish to run for a "long" time. The simulation involves some custom logic and some Intel IP (FFT blocks). When I run the simulation for a relatively short period of time in the GUI everything is fine. However, if I run it for a longer period of time the GUI closes without an error message. I have resorted to running QuestaSim in command line only mode (no GUI) and I can confirm the simulation completes with no problem - however I can't examine the waveforms without the GUI! Is there a known issue with this OEM release of the software where the GUI closes unexpectedly with no simulation error?

I have reached out to MentorGraphics (Siemens), but they believe that Intel should be the ones who are supporting this OEM release of the software. 

System: Windows 11 Pro
RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB)
Processor: Intel i7-11800H

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Windows 11 isn't officially supported, so that could be the issue.

Other than that, how large is the design and how many signals are you monitoring?  Is this the full Intel Edition or the "Starter" edition?

And what device are you targeting?

0 Kudos
AlexBeasley
New Contributor I

Thanks for your response 

Yes I agree - Win 11 could be the root of the issue. 

This is the Full Intel Edition 

Target is an Arria 10 10AS066 

The design really isn't that big, the most "complex" entity being the FFT IP that is set to a maximum of 512 points. 

In all I am probably monitoring cira 100 signals - However, I have watched the RAM consumption while running the Sim and we have plenty of overhead. 

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Alex,

Yes, Win 11 is not officially support Quartus and this might be the root issue.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Alex,

May I know if there is any other update?

0 Kudos