Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16594 Discussions

Read and print data from local memory .

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Read and print from local memory . 

Please, Do you can tell me if we can read and print the data stored in local memory. My data is defined as __local adress space in the kernel and setKernelArg in host code will be NULL. Also, As I understood, no buffer should be created with function Clcreatebuffer for local memory . So after, that When I try to read and print data in this local memory I have a huge and random number like this 343467048 , 7984984 . My output number should be 0 to 10 as I store it in local memory. But I call printf function to see my output in local buffer and I has 30984984.. 

So, Should I create buffer for local address space with Clcreatebuffer ? 

How I can read my output stored in local memory ? 

Where this huge and random number come ? 

My code : 

Kernel is : 

__global uint *restrict X 

__local uint * Z) 

Z[index]=X[index]; 

Host : 

input_X_buf = clcreatebuffer(context, cl_mem_read_only, n_per_device * sizeof(cl_uint), NULL, &status); 

status = clEnqueueWriteBuffer(queue, input_x_buf, CL_TRUE,0, n_per_device * sizeof(cl_uint), input_x, 0, NULL, &write_event); 

status = clSetKernelArg(kernel, argi++, sizeof(cl_mem), &input_x_buf); 

status = clSetKernelArg(kernel, argi++, sizeof(cl_mem), null); 

status = clenqueuereadbuffer(queue, output_Z_buf, cl_false,0, n_per_device * sizeof(cl_uint), output_Z, 1, &kernel_event, &finish_event); 

printf(" device %d, index %d output_z: %d ref_output: %u ",i, j, output_z[j], ref_output[i][j]); 

Thanks in advance for your help.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You CANNOT read from or write to local memory buffers from the host. You can only communicate between host and device using global memory. You have to write your data to global memory in the host, then copy it to local memory in the kernel, then write back to global memory in the kernel, then read it from global memory in the host. Local memory is designed to be used for keeping temporary data on the device, and is not directly accessible from the host.

0 Kudos