Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Registers in I/O cells

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Most Altera families have register(s) in the I/O cells. Obviously if I want full control of the plumbing I can instantiate the 'GPIO Lite' IP core and do everything explicitly, but I thought that for simple cases the tools would spot a signal coming in on a pin going straight to a register and use the register in the I/O rather than using up an LE. 

However, with my current design it isn't doing that - the fitter resource report says "I/O registers 0/863 (0%)", and looking at the Technology Map viewer I can see my signals coming in through an "IO_IBUF" and then getting latched in a LE. 

I'm currently working with MAX10 and Quartus Prime 17.0.2 Lite edition (design in VHDL), but I thought I'd seen this working in earlier projects (with Cyclone2/3 and much older versions of Quartus). 

Am I missing a setting somewhere, or does this feature not exist?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If I remember correctly, there is no input register in the IO cell, but a direct connection from the IO cell to the LAB, which is almost as fast. On the output side there should be a 2 registers, because doing DDIO interfaces in the LAB is far too slow(the mux after the registers becomes a LUT to route through and it gets ugly)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hmm. 

According to the manual it certainly has registers ("Max 10 General Purpose I/O user guide", figure 2-1, and in fact I've just checked the old Cyclone III documentation and that has an almost identical diagram of the I/O structure there). 

That diagram shows a total of 3 registers - one for input, one for output, and one for OE. However, the description says: 

Each IOE contains one input register, two output registers and two output-enable (OE) registers. 

• The two output registers and two OE registers are used for DDR applications 

• You can use the input registers for fast setup times and output registers for fast clock-to-output times 

• You can use the OE registers for fast clock-to-output enable times 

That total of 5 registers matches up with the resource summary from compiling my project - where I am using "0 out of 863 I/O registers" on a device with 178 I/O pins (5 registers per pin would be 890, but some of the pins are shared config pins and are input-only).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It all depends on your timing constraints and if you are using the "Fast I/O register" assignments. Using the registers in the I/O is not always good (and not regularly done by the Fitter) because it's possible to fail hold timing on the I/O to the upstream or downstream device. If you want to force the use of the I/O registers, use a Fast Input or Fast Output register assignment in the Assignment Editor.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks. Enabling "fast input register" for one of my buses certainly got usage of the corresponding number "i/o registers" in the fitter summary, though it's not clear from the netlist viewers whether I had actually got what I had in mind. 

So, I gave up on that and decided to do it explicitly with the "Altera GPIO Lite" megafunction. In the megawizard there's not many options exposed: in particular, the clock enable isn't made available. However, the VHDL it generates has all sorts of features: 

component altera_gpio_lite is generic ( PIN_TYPE : string := "output"; SIZE : integer := 4; REGISTER_MODE : string := "bypass"; BUFFER_TYPE : string := "single-ended" ; ASYNC_MODE : string := "none"; SYNC_MODE : string := "none"; BUS_HOLD : string := "false"; OPEN_DRAIN_OUTPUT : string := "false"; ENABLE_OE_PORT : string := "false"; ENABLE_NSLEEP_PORT : string := "false"; ENABLE_CLOCK_ENA_PORT : string := "false"; SET_REGISTER_OUTPUTS_HIGH : string := "false"; INVERT_OUTPUT : string := "false"; INVERT_INPUT_CLOCK : string := "false"; USE_ONE_REG_TO_DRIVE_OE : string := "false"; USE_DDIO_REG_TO_DRIVE_OE : string := "false"; USE_ADVANCED_DDR_FEATURES : string := "false"; USE_ADVANCED_DDR_FEATURES_FOR_INPUT_ONLY : string := "false"; ENABLE_OE_HALF_CYCLE_DELAY : string := "true"; INVERT_CLKDIV_INPUT_CLOCK : string := "false"; ENABLE_PHASE_INVERT_CTRL_PORT : string := "false"; ENABLE_HR_CLOCK : string := "false"; INVERT_OUTPUT_CLOCK : string := "false"; INVERT_OE_INCLOCK : string := "false"; ENABLE_PHASE_DETECTOR_FOR_CK : string := "false" ); port ( inclock : in std_logic := 'X'; dout : out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); pad_in : in std_logic_vector(7 downto 0) := (others => 'X'); inclocken : in std_logic := 'X'; fr_clock : out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); hr_clock : out std_logic; invert_hr_clock : in std_logic := 'X'; outclock : in std_logic := 'X'; outclocken : in std_logic := 'X'; phy_mem_clock : in std_logic := 'X'; mimic_clock : out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); din : in std_logic_vector(7 downto 0) := (others => 'X'); pad_io : inout std_logic_vector(7 downto 0) := (others => 'X'); pad_io_b : inout std_logic_vector(7 downto 0) := (others => 'X'); pad_in_b : in std_logic_vector(7 downto 0) := (others => 'X'); pad_out : out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); pad_out_b : out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); aset : in std_logic := 'X'; aclr : in std_logic := 'X'; sclr : in std_logic := 'X'; nsleep : in std_logic_vector(7 downto 0) := (others => 'X'); oe : in std_logic_vector(7 downto 0) := (others => 'X') ); end component altera_gpio_lite;  

I then tried instantating this by hand in my VHDL, setting "ENABLE_CLOCK_ENA_PORT" to "true", "REGISTER_MODE" to "single-register" and wiring up the relevant ports. 

This again gave sensible resource usage reports when compiled, but looking at the netlist viewer it seemed to have ignored my clock enable. 

So I am reluctantly concluding that this stuff is half-baked (at least in respect of Max10) - not clear whether the deficiencies lie in the tools, the documentation (describing features that don't exist), or the silicon (tools disabled because features don't work?).
0 Kudos