Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

SV assertions not honored?

vraj12
Beginner

i have a simple sv code, which has assertions

module top(input [2:0] in1, input [2:0] in2, output [3:0] out1, input clk);
parameter p1 = 4;
parameter p2 = 5;
reg [3:0] out1_reg;
always @(posedge clk) begin
assert(p1 == p2)
else
$error("fail");
end
assign out1 = out1_reg;
//assign out1 = in1+ in2;
endmodule

I have enable the asseriotion, under assignements->settings->compiler settings-> advanced options.

when i run the above code i dont see any error message. 

and i see assertion is supported

vraj12_0-1635317375451.png

am I missing something, while using assertion?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

What are you expecting?  assert is used for simulation, not synthesis.

0 Kudos
vraj12
Beginner

vraj12_0-1635396969372.png

In the snippet it is mentioned as supported and it does not say ignored by synthesis, was expecting it prints out the message in log.

Immediate assertion is similar to if statements, so was expecting some logic is generated 

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

If I'm not mistaken $error is from SystemVerilog-2005. This is only supported on Quartus Prime Pro.

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

We did not receive any response to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided, thus I will put this case to close pending. Please post a response in the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions.

Regards,
Nurina

P/S: If you like my comment, feel free to give Kudos. If my comment solved your problem, feel free to accept my comment as solution!

0 Kudos