Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Setup default project location

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

When I create a new project, the following location appears in the dialog window "C:\altera\15.1". 

How to change it for a new location ? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Anybody know a way to achieve this? 

We use Quartus for teaching, and are constantly having to remind students not to create projects in that directory. You'd be amazed how many start overwriting Quartus installation files because of the default directory being the Quartus root directory.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can't change it. I've complained about this for years.

0 Kudos
wizardberry
Beginner

Looks like if you update the shortcut that you use (start menu or desktop) to get into quartus, the default location for projects is based on the "Start in" windows shortcut field.  I updated this to reflect %userprofile%\desktop and clicked ok and now it creates projects with that folder as the root.  I don't believe you can choose a folder that doesn't exist, but putting it at the root of desktop or documents at least gets it to a user-specific folder that makes sense for your users to specify a subfolder for projects to start from.