Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16611 Discussions

Shift constant by variable amount

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For some reason, I can't get this to work. I want to logically shift left the 8-bit number 1 (x"01") by a variable amount (named counter between 0 and 7) and store as an inverted std_logic_vector. Nothing I try is working with the compiler. 

None of these work and I've tried many additional variants and conversions: 

leds_w <= NOT (STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(2 ** counter)); 

leds_w <= NOT (STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(1 SLL TO_INTEGER(counter))); 

leds_w <= NOT (STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(shift_left(x"01", counter))); 

I have 1164 and numeric_std libraries referenced. counter is currently type unsigned, but I can change that if necessary. Help! 

Steve
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The are problems with all 3, because you have type errors in all 3. 

I don't think you want to shift 1 to the left at all. Just connect the output to 2**CNT. You just want 

Leds_w <= std_logic_vector( to_unsigned( 2**counter, leds_w'length)); --Or use a for loop For i in leds_w'range loop If counter = i then Leds_w(i) <= '1'; Else Leds_w(i) <= '0'; End if End loop; -- or you could do it in a process Process (counter) Begin Leds_w <= (others => '0'); Leds_w( to_integer (counter)) <= '1'; End process;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well, I still kept getting errors about **, so I put in the counter-sensitive process solution, inverting the values since I need it active low for LEDs. It seems to work! Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos