Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16704 Discussions

SignalTap Invalid jtag (completely wiring dependent)

zhenge
New Contributor I

Dear support,

This issue has haunted me since 16.1 till 22.1std. SinglTap is not reliable.

And it is completely wiring dependent. I don't see hardware or setup issue, since reducing wiring will get a working SignalTap.

And sometime it fails even if there is 10 signals and 8K sample deep on a single clock domain. There is no timing error in build.

I've read all the threads relevant searched on this form, I don't think any of the recommendations help.

Please let me know, if there is anything I can do to reduce its occurrence.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III
8 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

When you say Signal Tap is not reliable, what exactly do you mean?  Are you saying the captured samples don't match what you expect or is it not triggering on the trigger conditions you've specified?  How full is your device?  When you say that the design is meeting timing, is it meeting timing with Signal Tap both enabled and disabled?

0 Kudos
zhenge
New Contributor I

Hi sstrell,

Thanks for your attention.

I've never seen or captured samples mismatch, or no triggering.

My "reliable" means "Invalid JTAG Chain", the device is never more than 60% filled. Meeting timing means no timing error other than unconstrained warnings (those are expected with SignalTap insertions).

Basically, as long as I am able to see SignalTap after programming. I am happy. There is 10% percent chances I don't see it. Tried clean, rebuild. noprune attributes, all sorts. Most of the time, I had to use alternative method or nets to get moving.

Regards,

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Ah, thought it was in the design.  So you're probably having issues with programming the device itself as well.

There's a JTAG Chain Debugger tool in Quartus you could try.  That might help identify a board issue, especially if there are other devices on your JTAG chain.

0 Kudos
zhenge
New Contributor I

Hi sstrell,

I've never had any issue programming, but when it's not "reliable" right after programming, I don't see SignalTap.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Weird.  Is this a dev kit or a custom board?  Can you try a different device?  Does this happen with different designs?  Could be a flaky device.

0 Kudos
zhenge
New Contributor I

Unfortunately this is a custom product, seeing the same issue through 20+ boards in the past 4 years since Quartus 16.1std.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III