Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Signaltap retrieve data .... after having plugged JTAG

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

is it possible to plug the jtag (usb blaster or other) and retrieve captured data (aquire data a postiori) with signaltap? 

I mean :  

1. Program a FPGA with SignalTap, 

2. Let the board functionning alone, let internal SignalTap capture data because trigger has occured
  3. Plug USB Blaster

I know there is a power up capture, but I want to retrieve data after an other trigger condition was met. 

Is it possible ? 

notes : 

(1) : Does SignalTap work alone in FPGA = without having to press "Run analysis" ? 

(2) : Is there an risk of loosing FPGA configuration when pluggin USB Blaster ? 

Cordially.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

is it possible to plug the jtag (usb blaster or other) and retrieve captured data (aquire data a postiori) with signaltap? 

I mean :  

1. Program a FPGA with SignalTap, 

2. Let the board functionning alone, let internal SignalTap capture data because trigger has occured
  3. Plug USB Blaster

I know there is a power up capture, but I want to retrieve data after an other trigger condition was met. 

Is it possible ? 

notes : 

(1) : Does SignalTap work alone in FPGA = without having to press "Run analysis" ? 

(2) : Is there an risk of loosing FPGA configuration when pluggin USB Blaster ? 

Cordially. 

--- Quote End ---  

Why can't you do it in the usual order? 

1. Plug in USB BLASTER 

2. Launch Quartus > SignalTap program the FPGA with SignalTap 

3. Let the board function and capture data when it triggers. 

4. Download data.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I try to find a cause of a disfunction that stops a system : it occures at 1 min or lots of days after power-on. 

Because JTAG can reconfigure FPGA, I prefer NOT plugging USB Blaster when the board is functionning. The risk is too important. 

I made a "datalogger" board but it captures onl a few signals wich are not significant enough. 

So I would like to offload data from Signaltap AFTER triggered (and after securizing the system).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think you would need USB blaster connected for the SignalTap to run. I believe the data is real time streamed into the PC which are connected to the board.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think too. 

That is a risky solution. 

So I am on other way.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Why not just leave the USB-Blaster plugged into the board? That way the USB-Blaster is not "hot-plugged" into the JTAG header while your board is powered. 

You could leave the USB-Blaster plugged into a PC, so that the cable electronics is also powered, but that is not required. You could just plug the USB-Blaster USB connector into your PC after the board has been powered. 

SignalTap II has a power-on trigger configuration. This allows the FPGA instance of SignalTap II to trigger, and then you can retrieve the trace at a later time. I have used this to capture an event that would only occur every few days. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Because JTAG can set the FPGA into a high impedance which is catastrophic in my system, I can't allow that. 

--- Quote Start ---  

You could just plug the USB-Blaster USB connector into your PC after the board has been powered. 

--- Quote End ---  

NOT sure. I had burnt USB Blasters this way, I think.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Because JTAG can set the FPGA into a high impedance which is catastrophic in my system, I can't allow that. 

--- Quote End ---  

Only if the TAP machine is programmed to issue the HIGHZ command. Its unlikely to randomly issue this command. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I had burnt USB Blasters this way, I think.  

--- Quote End ---  

It should work fine. The VCC_OUT voltage from the 10-pin header goes to dual-voltage buffers that are tolerant of either supply powered before the other. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos