Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

Signaltap tcl scripting: trigger

SDe_J
New Contributor I

Hello Intel forum,

I'm trying to use a tcl script to retrieve data from a signaltap instance on my project. I'm using Quartus 20.4 if that helps.

My tcl script looks like this:

# Open Signal Tap session 
open_session -name lpGBT_top.stp
### Start acquisition of instances auto_signaltap_0 and
### auto_signaltap_1 at the same time
# Calling run_multiple_end will start all instances
run_multiple_start

run -instance Uplink -data_log log_1 -timeout 5 -trigger trigger_1

run_multiple_end
# Close Signal Tap session
close_session

When I run this, I get this error:

Error (23035): Tcl error: ERROR: Instance, signal set, or trigger does not exist. Make sure the instance, signal set, and trigger exist in the Signal Tap File.

while executing
"run -instance Uplink -data_log log_1 -timeout 5 -trigger trigger_1"
(file "test_stp.tcl" line 23)

My question is, how do I get/set the name of a trigger? Or alternatively, can I capture data without waiting on a trigger?

I've tried it without "-trigger trigger_1" in the "run" command, but I just get a timeout instead.

I've looked at the stp file, and see this line:

<display_branch instance="Uplink" log="USE_GLOBAL_TEMP" signal_set="USE_GLOBAL_TEMP" trigger="USE_GLOBAL_TEMP"/>

which lead me to believe that the trigger name is "USE_GLOBAL_TEMP", but that produces the same error.

In the signaltap gui, I can't find any way to get or set the name of a trigger.

Thank you for your assistance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I've never scripted Signal Tap before, but according to the Tcl help (qpro_sh --qhelp), maybe try -signal_set signal_set_1.  The naming of signal sets and triggers comes from if you use the Data Log feature and want to reference a stored signal set or trigger from there.

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Agree with sstrell. Can refer manual page 78. 

(Starts the analyzer. This command must be followed by all the required arguments to properly start the analyzer.)

https://www2.pcs.usp.br/~labdig/material/15.%20Design%20Debugging%20Using%20the%20SignalTap%20II%20Embedded%20Logic%20Analyzer.pdf 

Best regards,
Sheng

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos.

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi SDe_J,

Any update on this thread?

Best regards,
Sheng

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Since there are no feedback for this thread, I shall set this thread to close pending. If you still need further assistance, you are welcome reopen this thread within 20days or open a new thread, some one will be right with you.

Best regards,
Sheng

0 Kudos