Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16611 Discussions

Simulating NIOS2 with Custom Testbench in Modelsim

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to simulate a very simple NIOS2 design using a custom testbench. The NIOS2 simply sets a PIO pin, but I am not able to see this in the simulation waveforms.  

First off, I have followed the (quite helpful) simulation tutorial from (http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/correlator/pdf/altera_jtag_to_avalon_mm_tutorial.pdf), but I'm still having trouble. It's probably something very simple, but I can't figure out what the issue is. Details are below: 

qsys system 

• A picture is attached. But basically it includes: 

• A NIOS2 standard processor with cache and level 1 debugging. 

• An on-chip 20KB memory for NIOS data/instructions 

• The memory is initialized to the .hex file that was built by Eclipse SBT and stored in the synthesis folder (I have tried both automatic initialization, and custom by pointing directly to the .hex file) 

• Two 1-bit PIO output ports that reset to 0. 

• Simulation and synthesis files are generated. 

eclipse application 

The nios2 code is below. 

# include "system.h"# include "altera_avalon_pio_regs.h" int main(){ while(1){ IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(PIO_0_BASE, 0); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(PIO_1_BASE, 1); } }  

verilog top-level module and testbench 

Top-level module: 

//top-level module module desperation( input clk, input reset, output out, output out2 ); nios_test u0 ( .clk_clk (clk), .reset_reset_n (reset), .out_export (out), .out2_export (out2) ); endmodule  

Testbench: 

//testbench `timescale 1 ns / 1 ps module desperation_tb(); reg clk; wire reset; wire out; wire out2; //50MHz initial clk = 1'b0; always# 10 clk = ~clk; //have tried both reset low and reset high assign reset = 1'b1; desperation dut ( .clk(clk), .reset(reset), .out(out), .out2(out2) ); endmodule  

modelsim simulation script 

.main clear set BASE_DIR <some_dir> set TOP_LEVEL_NAME desperation set TESTBENCH_NAME desperation_tb set QSYS_PROJ_NAME nios_test cd $BASE_DIR/$QSYS_PROJ_NAME/simulation/mentor source msim_setup.tcl dev_com com vlog -sv ../../../$TOP_LEVEL_NAME.v vlog -sv ../../../$TESTBENCH_NAME.v set TOP_LEVEL_NAME $TESTBENCH_NAME elab +nowarnTFMPC add wave -position end sim:/$TESTBENCH_NAME/dut/clk add wave -position end sim:/$TESTBENCH_NAME/dut/reset add wave -position end sim:/$TESTBENCH_NAME/dut/out add wave -position end sim:/$TESTBENCH_NAME/dut/out2 run 10us  

It's worth noting that the result is the same from this modelsim script and when I try to run gate-level simulation through NativeLink in Quartus. Basically both NIOS2 outputs stay low, while according to the NIOS2 code one should go high while the other remains low.  

I'm very new to both Qsys and NIOS2, so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong (incorrectly generating Qsys system / Eclipse build; not properly instantiating NIOS2 memory for simulation, etc). I have followed both the introductory NIOS2 software and hardware tutorials for setting up Qsys and Eclipse, but I'm still having trouble. 

Any tips would be great!
0 Kudos
0 Replies