Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Storing 8 bit data in SDRAM in DE 0 Nano

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I want to do high speed data acquisition (50 Msps approx.) with my de 0 nano board. I need to store 8 bit data samples in it and transmit it. Though i have managed to perform uart I am not sure as to how to proceed for storing my samples in sdram. 

Thank you
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You could consider writing your own SDRAM controller... 

However, I suggest you get to grips with Altera's SDRAM Controller Core IP. See chapter 2 in the "embedded peripherals ip user guide (https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahukewius5mi48rnahxf5xokhzssapqqfggcmaa&url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.altera.com%2fen_us%2fpdfs%2fliterature%2fug%2fug_embedded_ip.pdf&usg=afqjcnfejbjdttj8ylq-5l5g1dl_nah9cw)". You'll probably find writing rtl to control Altera's Avalon interface much more straightforward than writing a complete SDRAM controller. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply,  

Is it possible to make a vhdl programme for the above stated purpose ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Tejas,  

There is a nice tutorial: Using SD ram on DE0 Nano from Altera university. 

ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_material/15.0/tutorials/verilog/de0-nano/using_the_sdram.pdf 

I used to get started with the SDRAM. 

ps: You might need a separate PLL get the timing of the FPGA and the SDRAM in line. This is at the end of the tutorial, but very important.  

Good luck, 

Johi.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, you can connect the SDRAM Controller Core IP directly to your VHDL. Generate the rtl through Qsys and instantiate it, using the generated module template, in your VHDL. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos