Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Strange behavior on pin assignment

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I started a small project and observed a strange behavior when assigning GPIO pins , some get assigned and some don't. I don't get any errors , only a warning "no exact pin location assignment" , I've tried everything from assigning all the GPIO pins to none, the rest of them are assigned the right way, only the GPIO pins have a strange behavior. 

I attached some screen-shots hoping someone has a solution to this.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It would be helpful to expand that message to see which 3 locations the tool thinks are not assigned. 

You can also check in the Pin Planner. It's a lot easier to verify I/O assignments there than in the Assignment Editor.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Critical Warning (169085): No exact pin location assignment(s) for 3 pins of 21 total pins 

Info (169086): Pin GPIO_11 not assigned to an exact location on the device 

Info (169086): Pin GPIO_10 not assigned to an exact location on the device 

Info (169086): Pin GPIO_12 not assigned to an exact location on the device 

The rest of the pins that are not related to GPIO where assigned.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After analyzing the pin planner and the assignment list I realized that the software was trying to solve a naming scheme related issue automatically thus creating 2 entries for each pin and then placing the pins chaotically or not placing them at all, the solution was to change the names for all the pins in the assignment editor.

0 Kudos