Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Stratix 10 I/O count discrepancy

GLT1
New Contributor I

Hello,

I have a design with 371 I/O pins that I'm attempting to fit into a 1SG040HH3F35E3VG device. 

According to the Intel documentation and the Pin Planner, this device should have 374 user I/O pins.    I am assigning the pins to I/O banks using the pin planner, and the list of I/O banks shows that I still have 3 pins available  (371 + 3 = 374), which is correct.

However, when I run the I/O Assignment analysis or fitter I get the following error message which indicates there are only 366 I/O pins available:

Error (179000): Design requires 371 user-specified I/O pins -- too many to fit in the 366 user I/O pin locations available in the selected device

Info (179001): Current design requires 371 user-specified I/O pins -- 371 normal user-specified I/O pins and 0 programming pins that have been constrained to use dual-purpose I/O pin locations

Info (179002): Targeted device has 366 I/O pin locations available for user I/O -- 332 general-purpose I/O pins and 34 dual-purpose I/O pins

Why is Quartus Prime Pro (v21.3) saying there are only 366 I/O pins available instead of the expected 374? 

Thanks,

Terry

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

These pins are unassigned so you can safely ignore it. 

Thank you

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello Terry,

I am sorry that you are facing this issue. I am here to try to help you. So you mentioned that you are expecting 371 pins available but when you ran the I/O Assignment Analysis you received and error saying that there are 366 I/O pins available. 

May I know if you have checked again if you have used any of the available pins? It would also be helpful if you could send me a screenshot of the errros you have received. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
GLT1
New Contributor I

Hello,

Yes. I've tweaked the design a little bit since my original post and am now down to 369 pins, but the error message is the same.  See the attached images for the list of I/O banks from the Pin Planner, which shows there are 5 available pins in the non-transceiver banks.  Also, there is a screen shot of the error messages.

Thank you,

Terry

0 Kudos
GLT1
New Contributor I

I was able to reduce the IO count of my design, constrain all pins to I/O banks and eventually get everything to fit. 

The current design has 371 pins in use and 3 spares, for a total of 374 pins ... which is the expected pin count.

I don't understand why the tools were reporting only 366 pins available before, but it is working now.

Quartus Prime Pro is actually now reporting that I am using 389 pins, however this includes 18 "unassigned" pins that are showing up in the output pins report (see attached image). 

These pins are not part of my design and I don't know where they came from.   Can these pins be safely ignored?

Thanks,

Terry

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

These pins are unassigned so you can safely ignore it. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos