Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Stratix 10 using PCI-Express connection 3.0 dies after 30 min

MKlee2
New Contributor I

Hello,

for one of our projects we need to work with an expnsion card using a stratix 10 and a pci-e 3.0 connection.

I build a test system, based on terasics and intels examples (driver/api/application itself) it works fine for around 30 min (I belive 30 min after pc booted up). But then it dies completly, I can't connect to the expansion card at all anymore, not even using the j-tag connection.

The only way to revive the system is a complete power cycle, reboot won't work either.

If I don't load the driver after boot and wait for 30 min it will tell me the device is stuck in power mode D3, and cant be woken up.

So is this maybe related to some power saving modes? I tried to turn off as many as possible, but the issue persists. Has anyone an idea or simliar experiences? I think it's odd that it always dies after 30 min.

OS: Linux (Ubuntu 20.04 / openembedded poky custom build based on intel yocto layer (pre-empt RT Linux 4.19))

CPU: Intel® Xeon® Gold-Prozessor 5222 (x2)

Board: Supermicro X11DAi-N

FPGA:  1SG165HU2F502VG (16GB DDR4)

Quartus: Prime Pro 20.2

My test project is based on your and intels examples.

I send data using intels example sw to the boards ram (using pci-e), fpga copies it to another ram region (fpga),

I read it back using the same application/driver/api. It works, but as stated above, only for around 30min.

Greetings

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Could you share the assembler report file?

Thanks

Best regards,

KhaiY

MKlee2
New Contributor I

Thank youn for your quick respons. As I needed to zip them anyway, I just attached all reports.

Edit: Wrong reports... exchanged them

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Could you share the PCIe settings and the .ip file?

Do you have the signal tap on the link status and LTSSM?

Thanks

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
MKlee2
New Contributor I

Hi,

I was also in contact with terasic and as it turns out, after the some time the board overheats.

So it's most likely connected to the overheating, that my design dies.

For now, until this issue is resolved (overheating) I guess we should close this thread/put it on hold.

Sorry for the late answer/topic in general. It took me some time to realize that the system might overheat.

Greetings

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Sure. I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos