Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16558 Discussions

Synthesis: Place and route failure for Arria device in Debian 11 platform

Swetha_A
Novice

The following error is caught for all the features for Arria device during Place and route for 20.1.1 version of Altera.

Error (293007): Current module quartus_fit ended unexpectedly. Verify that you have sufficient memory available to compile your design. You can view disk space and physical RAM requirements on the System and Software Requirements page of the Intel FPGA website (http://dl.altera.com/requirements/).
------------------------------------------------
ERROR: Error(s) found while running an executable. See report file(s) for error message(s). Message log indicates which executable was run last.

RAM specification of debian 11 machine was 10GB while max peak virtual memory occupied in the session was 3GB.

Attached the place and route, matlab command window log and device RAM specification

The same features were running fine in debian 10 machines.

What is the Required RAM specification for deb 11 and 20.1.1 version?

Do we have any effects in debian 11 machine?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Swetha_A
Novice

The issue was not reproducible using machines with higher RAM memory but the issue got fixed after updating the swap space to non-zero in 10 GB RAM debian 11 machines. The place and route was failing due to zero swap space in debian 11 machines.

It has taken time for us to debug and identify the actual cause. 

Thank you for the patience!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ShengN_Intel
Employee

If the same features were running fine in debian 10 machines, then debian 11 machine should be not much problem because both required almost the same RAM specification. What i can suggest is to delete db and db_incremental files and recompile again. Make sure other not used applications are closed. If the problem still persists, you may have to increase virtual memory.

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Any further update or concern?

0 Kudos
Swetha_A
Novice

Thank you sir,

The problem persists even after deleting db and db_incremental folders.

I'm debugging the issue more and will acknowledge once I get any solution.

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

If like that you may have to increase the memory RAM or reduce the design size. Place and route usually consumes more RAM during compilation. 

Best regards,

Sheng

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos.

0 Kudos
Swetha_A
Novice

The issue was not reproducible using machines with higher RAM memory but the issue got fixed after updating the swap space to non-zero in 10 GB RAM debian 11 machines. The place and route was failing due to zero swap space in debian 11 machines.

It has taken time for us to debug and identify the actual cause. 

Thank you for the patience!

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Just know about there is such feature for extra RAM space. Great to know that. Thanks for your genuine sharing. May be you can mark it as solution for better future reference.

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Since I had provided you the solution and did not received any feedback from you, I shall set this case to close pending. If you still need further assistance, you are welcome reopen this case within 20days or open a new case, some one will be right with you.

0 Kudos