Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

SystemVerilog static variables

PElm
Beginner

I have a problem with local variables in SystemVerilog/Quartus.

static seems not to be working as expected. The following code generates no output(led constant).

always @(posedge clk) begin : P_1us
    static logic [5:0] nClk = 6'd0;
    led <= 1'b0;
    if( nClk == 50 ) begin
         led <= 1'b1;
         nClk = 0;
    end
    nClk++;
end

However removing "static" it works.
With competing tools(Vivado and more) this work as expected.

It seems static is treated as automatic.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

What version/edition of Quartus are you using?

0 Kudos
PElm
Beginner

@sstrell 

I'm using 20.1.1 Build 720

Patches Installed: 1.02i

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Is that Standard or Pro?

0 Kudos
PElm
Beginner
0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Lite has limited SystemVerilog support.  Maybe that's what you're running into.  Are there any warnings when you compile?

0 Kudos
PElm
Beginner

Does any Altera/Intel staff read this?

Or how do I report errors in Quartus?

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @PElm 

You may find the warning messages/ error in the Message GUI at the bottom of the Quartus. 

As mentioned here: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/po/ss-quartus-comparison.pdf

Quartus lite/standard has limited supported in System Verilog. I would recommend to run in Quartus Pro or to change to Verilog language. 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I have yet to receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided but I believed that I have answered your question. 
With that, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos