Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16603 Discussions

The result is right in emulator mode, but is wrong in FPGA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My code result is right in emulator mode, but when I compiled it and run in FPGA, the result is wrong. 

What reasons will cause the problem? And how to debug code in the situation? The code need 13 hours to compile. 

Thank you very much!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This could be anything from a race condition that is not properly emulated by the emulator to a bug in the compiler. Pretty much the only way to debug code on the FPGA is to use printf from inside the kernel, and that is only if the kernel does not deadlock.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

This could be anything from a race condition that is not properly emulated by the emulator to a bug in the compiler. Pretty much the only way to debug code on the FPGA is to use printf from inside the kernel, and that is only if the kernel does not deadlock. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for your reply! 

My kernels are all task kernel. That is to say mutiple kernels read/write one global variable ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

My kernels are all task kernel. That is to say mutiple kernels read/write one global variable ? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, if you have multiple kernels running in parallel which read from or write to the same global memory buffer, and read/write order will affect your output, you will likely get incorrect results. Trying to synchronize such kernels using channels will NOT work.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, if you have multiple kernels running in parallel which read from or write to the same global memory buffer, and read/write order will affect your output, you will likely get incorrect results. Trying to synchronize such kernels using channels will NOT work. 

--- Quote End ---  

But my code have no global variable that multiple kernels write to it. Is the problem of channel? In my code, many channel read/write have conditions. Or the problem of local memory access?? My local buffer is doubble-buffer, in a loop, there is read and write to it, but their address is different.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As I said it could be something in your code, or just a bug in the compiler; it is impossible to know without full analysis of the code and the resulting HDL. You can try opening a support request with Altera and sending them your source code to see what they say.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HRZ,  

In response to your comment: 

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

I have not explored this design pattern yet; but is this due to a lack of cache coherence (in the LSUs that are automatically inferred)? Did you ever bring this up with Altera or get a response?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have not explored this design pattern yet; but is this due to a lack of cache coherence (in the LSUs that are automatically inferred)? Did you ever bring this up with Altera or get a response? 

--- Quote End ---  

This is not a bug, this is part of the OpenCL specification. Global memory consistency is only guaranteed at the end of kernel execution and hence, one should not expect consistency when kernels running in parallel are reading from/writing to the same global address. Channels are meant to be used for passing data between kernels, not synchronizing global memory load/stores.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

But my code have no global variable that multiple kernels write to it. Is the problem of channel? In my code, many channel read/write have conditions. Or the problem of local memory access?? My local buffer is doubble-buffer, in a loop, there is read and write to it, but their address is different. 

--- Quote End ---  

Channel ordering could be the problem, try to print it out. My case was the emulator had the wrong ordering but FPGA was correct.
0 Kudos