Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
14961 Discussions

Timing Analyzer Inter-Path-Competition in Nios sub-system

CWarr1
Beginner

I am trying to close out timing in my Arria-10 FPGA design, using Quartus Prime V19.1.0 pro edition.
I clicked on the link to "report timing closure recommendations" This opened Timing Analyzer which reports "Inter-path-Competition" with 18 paths affected

This is the first recommendation:

★★★★★
Duplicate the nodes specified in the details for the path from u0|nilm_nios|nios...ss_line_field[4]u0|nilm_nios|nios2_gen2_2|cpu|d_address_line_field[4] to u0|nilm_onchip_me...m_block1a30~reg0u0|nilm_onchip_memory|onchip_memory2_1|the_altsyncram|auto_generated|ram_block1a30~reg0
Issue: Inter-path Competition
From: u0|nilm_nios|nios2_gen2_2|cpu|d_address_line_field[4]
To: u0|nilm_onchip_memory|onchip_memory2_1|the_altsyncram|auto_generated|ram_block1a30~reg0
Timing Analysis: report timing
Nodes to duplicate:
u0|nilm_nios|nios2_gen2_2|cpu|d_address_line_field[4]
u0|mm_interconnect_0|router|reduce_nor_11
u0|nilm_onchip_memory|onchip_memory2_1|the_altsyncram|auto_generated|decode3|rtl~0
★★★★★

So the path that is affected is between my Nios processor (nilm_nios) and its associated onchip memory (nilm_onchip_memory)
Since both of these modules are created and connected within Platform Designer, I can not see how to duplicate the specified nodes.
Can anyone suggest how I might resolve this error?

Thanks!
Chris

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

You may add the setting below in the qsf file to duplicate a register

set_instance_assignment -name DUPLICATE_REGISTER -to <register_name> <num_duplicates>

Thanks

Best regards,

KhaiY

CWarr1
Beginner

Thanks.
My QSF file has a message:

# Altera recommends that you do not modify this file. This
# file is updated automatically by the Quartus Prime software
# and any changes you make may be lost or overwritten

Is it OK to ignore this, or can I create a different QSF file?

Regards

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

You may also duplicate the register using Manual Logic Duplication in Assignment editor. You may find example in FPGA Wiki page https://community.intel.com/t5/FPGA-Wiki/Register-Duplication-for-Timing-Closure/ta-p/735917 and document https://www.intel.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/uploads/a/aa/Register_Duplication_for_Timi...

Thanks

Best regards,

KhaiY

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

Best regards,

KhaiY