Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Timing-Driven Synthesis is skipped...

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I run Quartus, I *always* get the message "Timing-Driven Synthesis is skipped because it could not initialize the timing netlist". This happens no matter what settings I use. Any idea what is going on? In case it matters, it is Quartus 9.0 SP2 on a 64-bit Vista machine. Thanks!  

Later that day.... 

Same behavior on 32-bit Vista.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

When I run Quartus, I *always* get the message "Timing-Driven Synthesis is skipped because it could not initialize the timing netlist". This happens no matter what settings I use. Any idea what is going on? In case it matters, it is Quartus 9.0 SP2 on a 64-bit Vista machine. Thanks!  

Later that day.... 

Same behavior on 32-bit Vista. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

maybe this helps: 

The feature is available only for the TimeQuest Timing Analyzer and supports Arria II 

GX, Arria GX, Stratix series (except Stratix devices) and Cyclone series (except 

Cyclone devices), and HardCopy II devices. Altera recommends that you select a 

specific device for timing-driven synthesis to have the most accurate timing 

information. When auto device is selected, timing-driven synthesis uses the smallest 

device for the selected family to obtain timing information. 

Kind regards 

Gerd
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Gerd, 

Thanks very much. I have selected a specific Cyclone III device, but I still get this warning. I am attaching the settings file (with extension changed to .txt). One thing I wonder about is if this could be a Vista-related file access problem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Gerd, 

Thanks very much. I have selected a specific Cyclone III device, but I still get this warning. I am attaching the settings file (with extension changed to .txt). One thing I wonder about is if this could be a Vista-related file access problem. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

I had brief look to your file, but I could not find a reason for ignoring the timing driving synthesis. I also use Vista for my Quartus runs, but it works in my projects. At least it told me that it is running. My current Quartus Version is 9.0 SP1. Did you try an older Quartus version ? Maybe it is a bug in SP2 ? 

Kind regards 

Gerd
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if there is a syntax error in your SDC file you may see this issue.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks very much for these comments. I put in a service request and was told that this will happen if there are *any* timing constraints that are valid in the fitter but not in synthesis. I am not clear if this will always be the case with SOPC systems with cpu.sdc, pll.sdc, and ddr_sdram_phy_ddr_timing.sdc, or if there are SOPC systems where timing-driven systhesis is possible. The NEEK reference design (cycloneIII_3c25_noisII_standard) is similar to my SOPC system and it does not seem like there would be any way to do it for that case because cpu.sdc always generates some filters that fail.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

is there anyway to discover which ones it complains about? 

and does this warning matter?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have tried two more things: removing the cpu.sdc file during systhesis, and synthesis using only one of the two cpus in the computer. No change; I get the same warning. There are now no warnings during synthesis of any kind related to timing constraints. So, if this really has to do with failing timing constraints thenI don't see a way to know which ones they are.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you ever get this solved? 

I changed a SDC file using standard Tcl constructs like if {} and foreach {} and so and got the 'dreaded' message.  

Turned out that A&S doesn't like the 'post_message' command, when I commented them out everything went fine again.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've be having the same problem. 

I've got two projects (CIII's, but different sizes) that are fairly similar, both using alot of the same constraints. 

One refuses to do timing driving synthesis, the other runs perfectly. 

I've tried going thru and removing the bit that are different to no effect so far. The error message is of course useless to try and track down the cause. 

Been meaning to file a tech support on it. 

I'm using post_message in the successful build.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had had the same problem. 

The solution had been to remove all spaces after line break backslashes. These are not tolerated, making the constraint invalid.
0 Kudos
PPrib
Novice

I had (almost?) the same problem in Feb, 2022 (!).   I had a COMMENTED OUT LINE immediately following a create_clock.   Quartus Prime 20.1.1 Lite insisted on skipping timing-driven synthesis.  Removing the comment text fixed the problem.  

0 Kudos