Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Trouble with JTAG Server. Can't find Altera USB-Blaster in Quartus Programmer.

WGall3
Beginner

Hello All,

I am having a bit of trouble programming my Terasic DE0-CV board (Cylone V) with Quartus Prime Lite Edition 18.1. I am on Windows 7. I have the board plugged into a USB port and the Altera USB-Blaster appears in the Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. I went through the process of installing the proper driver for the USB-Blaster from the quartus\drivers folder the first time I plugged the board in. That part seems to be ok. The USB-Blaster appears to be happy. The problem begins when I attempt to program the board. The Quartus programmer cannot find the USB-Blaster under the Available Hardware tab. When I click Add Hardware I get an error message:

Attempted to accesss JTAG server -- internal error code 82 occurred

Plenty of other people have posted about this error in the past. One recommendation is to disable all firewalls. I have done this and restarted without effect.

I have seen the suggestion to use jtagconfig in the command prompt to debug the state of theJTAG chain. When I browse to intelFPGA_lite\18.1\quartus\bin64 and run jtagconfig --serverinfo

I get the result "JTAG Server is not installed"

This seems pretty clear. I can't use the programmer because the JTAG server is not installed. But how should I go about installing? My research seems to indicate that I should have a jtagserver.exe in my \bin64 folder but none is present. Am I mistaken about this?

Final question: Am I wasting my time with Quartus on Windows 7? Should I just switch to Ubuntu? I am more comfortable with Ubuntu anyway.

Any help with this JTAG issue would be greatly appreciated. It has been a struggle here for quite a while.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Can you just run below command share the image of the output?

>>quartus_pgm --auto

>>jtagconfig

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
NSook
Beginner

Hi. I'm having this same issue. When I type the above commands, I get that the command was not found. Is there some package to download to enable these commands? Thanks

0 Kudos
WGall3
Beginner

Hi,

The solution that worked for me was to uninstall Quartus and reinstall while logged into an administrator account. I had no more issues after I did that . Hope it helps.

-Will

0 Kudos