Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16557 Discussions

USB BLaster !!!quartus not detecting usbblaster

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can any one please help me out here... 

My USB Blaster is not shown in programmer window  

i am using Quartus2 9.1sp2 de1 kit 

i installed the driver from drivers/usb-blaster of quartus folder  

whenever i plugin usb ....device manager shows as Altera USB Blaster.. 

driver is signed driver....everything seems to be fine....but my programmer does not recognize usb blaster... 

i tried installing a seperate programmer from altera ...but the same result ...it does not recognize usb.... 

i tried every single options 

running programmer in xp compatability mode.... 

....installing even 7.2 quartus...but no luck... 

thanks for your help
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Board : DE1 

Quartus 9.1 sp2 

i was finally able to get it solved.... :) by wasting few dys....:mad: 

If u get USB<--->Serial, as ur driver and when you install Altera USB Blaster(../quartus/drivers/usbblaster/*.inf). And not able to see ur USB BLaster in Programmer window.....if you are sure that nothing is wrong with driver(signed driver),and u are able to connect your pc with other USB Blaster, i mean try out if its possible with the other similar board(may be of frnd) if programmer window detects it...then the only problem is ....(this was my case) 

When u plug in USB Blaster this blaster assigns an serial id to the device on board(eeprom)....you need to change this serial id...you can reprogram this by using the utility MProg from FTDI...u need .ept file .... 

create an .ept(sampe.ept)d file by copying the below content.... 

[Basic Details] 

Device Type=3 

VID PID Type=2 

USB VID=09FB 

USB PID=6001 

[USB Power Options] 

Bus Powered=1 

Self Powered=0 

Max Bus Power=150 

[USB Serial Number Control] 

Prefix=91 

Use Fixed Serial Number=0 

Fixed Serial Number=91d28408 

[USB Remote WakeUp] 

Enable Remote WakeUp=0 

[Windows Plug and Play] 

Enable Plug and Play=0 

[USB String Descriptors] 

Manufacturer=Altera 

Product=USB-Blaster 

[Programming Options] 

Only Program Blank Devices=0 

[BM Device Specific Options] 

USB Version Number=0 

Disable Serial Number=0 

IO Pin Pull Down in Suspend=1 

[Dual Device Specific Options A] 

RS 232 mode=1 

245 FIFO mode=0 

245 CPU FIFO mode=0 

OPTO Isolate mode=1 

High Current Drive=0 

[Dual Device Specific Options B] 

RS 232 mode=1 

245 FIFO mode=0 

245 CPU FIFO mode=0 

OPTO Isolate mode=0 

High Current Drive=0 

[Dual Device Driver Options A] 

Virtual Com Port Driver=1 

D2XX Driver=0 

[Dual Device Driver Options B] 

D2XX Driver=0 

and in Mprog tool open this ept file ....and then say program..... 

u will give a new serial id to your device.. 

plug out ur uSB blaster,....then plugin ....now again instal ur AlteraUSBBlaster Driver....hope you will be able to see it in programmer window.. 

Hope this may help you ...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i am new to altera de2 will u plz tell how can i interface a webcam with a usb in this board .will installing usb blaster solve my problem.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Board : DE1 

Quartus 9.1 sp2 

i was finally able to get it solved.... :) by wasting few dys....:mad: 

If u get USB<--->Serial, as ur driver and when you install Altera USB Blaster(../quartus/drivers/usbblaster/*.inf). And not able to see ur USB BLaster in Programmer window.....if you are sure that nothing is wrong with driver(signed driver),and u are able to connect your pc with other USB Blaster, i mean try out if its possible with the other similar board(may be of frnd) if programmer window detects it...then the only problem is ....(this was my case) 

When u plug in USB Blaster this blaster assigns an serial id to the device on board(eeprom)....you need to change this serial id...you can reprogram this by using the utility MProg from FTDI...u need .ept file .... 

create an .ept(sampe.ept)d file by copying the below content.... 

[Basic Details] 

Device Type=3 

VID PID Type=2 

USB VID=09FB 

USB PID=6001 

[USB Power Options] 

Bus Powered=1 

Self Powered=0 

Max Bus Power=150 

[USB Serial Number Control] 

Prefix=91 

Use Fixed Serial Number=0 

Fixed Serial Number=91d28408 

[USB Remote WakeUp] 

Enable Remote WakeUp=0 

[Windows Plug and Play] 

Enable Plug and Play=0 

[USB String Descriptors] 

Manufacturer=Altera 

Product=USB-Blaster 

[Programming Options] 

Only Program Blank Devices=0 

[BM Device Specific Options] 

USB Version Number=0 

Disable Serial Number=0 

IO Pin Pull Down in Suspend=1 

[Dual Device Specific Options A] 

RS 232 mode=1 

245 FIFO mode=0 

245 CPU FIFO mode=0 

OPTO Isolate mode=1 

High Current Drive=0 

[Dual Device Specific Options B] 

RS 232 mode=1 

245 FIFO mode=0 

245 CPU FIFO mode=0 

OPTO Isolate mode=0 

High Current Drive=0 

[Dual Device Driver Options A] 

D2XX Driver=0 

[Dual Device Driver Options B] 

D2XX Driver=0 

and in Mprog tool open this ept file ....and then say program..... 

u will give a new serial id to your device.. 

plug out ur uSB blaster,....then plugin ....now again instal ur AlteraUSBBlaster Driver....hope you will be able to see it in programmer window.. 

Hope this may help you ... 

--- Quote End ---  

Ha, only 15 hours later do I find this/your post, but you know... this worked! Running WinXp SP3, with Quartus II - 6.0, and USB Blaster Rev. C (yes, I know... little bit older, but I'm restricted because of a contract). Anyways, thanks! This worked and I can now see the USB-Blaster on the Quartus II Programmer... :D:D
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I reprogrammed the EEPROM with no success...I am still not able to see the USB Blaster in the hardware window..any advise?:confused:
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you can't see your USB-Blaster in the programmer window then the next place to look is in the control panel Device Manager (it appears in different places in different versions of windows). 

If the USB-Blaster shows up there as a USB-Blaster then you almost certainly have a problem with your Quartus install, please don't reprogram the EEPROM. 

Reprogramming the EEPROM will only help if your cable somehow shows up as a FTDI USB<->Serial device. In other cases reprogramming your EEPROM probably won't help and it could well make things worse.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Wombat, 

Thank you for your reply, please check the below details: 

Previously: Quartus2 9.1sp2 were installed and everything were running well. 

Now: Quartus2 11.0 were installed in addition to the previous version (in different folder). 

Result: Both QuartusII versions are not able to detect the USB Blaster (which suppose to be listed in the "Available Hardware Item" in the programmer software). 

Note: Altera USB Blaster is show in the hardware manager of the Win OS with a status of "This device is working properly" 

All related thread in this forum were read and tested without any success. 

Dear FluxCapacitor, I have administrator privileges on the OS, however this does not solve the problem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi abuaba, 

I dont know why this works for different problems in windows despite the logged in user already having admin privileges. It's actually part of the compatibility layer. Windows security is a complete mess as far as permissions go and I never cease to be amazed.  

This worked for me even though the blaster was already showing in device manager. Also note that after you try the fixes you may need to expand the device selector windows in Programmer for it to be seen and selected.  

Good luck
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Since the problem raise after installing the new version of Quartus II, I think I will restore my computer to check if the problem was caused by the new installation

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Oh my God, I wasted more than 8 hours on this problem, and finally I solved it. 

The trick is......as adviced by FluxCapacitor to run the software "as Administrator" even if you have Administrator priviliges!!! 

I do not know who to blame...the Windows team or the Altera team?! 

Any way, it is good to spread this bug and its solution for the future users of Quartus II software  

Special thanks to FluxCapacitor:cool:
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Oh my God, I wasted more than 8 hours on this problem, and finally I solved it. 

The trick is......as adviced by FluxCapacitor to run the software "as Administrator" even if you have Administrator priviliges!!! 

I do not know who to blame...the Windows team or the Altera team?! 

Any way, it is good to spread this bug and its solution for the future users of Quartus II software  

Special thanks to FluxCapacitor:cool: 

--- Quote End ---  

Your welcome. Glad to hear it worked for you too! :D 

I don't think this is any fault of Altera's as such. It something that I have had to do for a number of apps that I run to function correctly. Being device related it must be calling a system DLL that requires some degree of access not associated by the win 7 administrator. 

Hopefully the Quartus developers can look at what is causing it and circumvent the security level requirements somehow.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Your welcome. Glad to hear it worked for you too! :D 

I don't think this is any fault of Altera's as such. It something that I have had to do for a number of apps that I run to function correctly. Being device related it must be calling a system DLL that requires some degree of access not associated by the win 7 administrator. 

Hopefully the Quartus developers can look at what is causing it and circumvent the security level requirements somehow. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for the solution! Running the tool as an administrator did the trick.  

For future installs of Quartus versions, instead of just double clicking the setup file, right click the file and run as administrator. This may solve the problem, and there wouln't be any need to constantly open quartus as an administrator.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I notice you are using a 32 bit version of win7. This means you need a 32 bit version of jtagserver.exe installed as a service and running properly. 

Please run the command `<full-path-to>/quartus/bin/jtagserver.exe --install` - you may have to uninstall first if you have the wrong one running. After running this use `jtagconfig --debug` to check it can access your blaster. Newer versions of jtagserver should work with old jtagconfig (and vice versa) so I normally just install the newest one available. 

If you don't have admin access and don't have an installed jtagserver then jtagconfig (or any of the other tools) should try and run a temporary jtagserver, this one will work mostly the same but won't support remote jtag.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

device type=3 

vid pid type=2 

in the ftdi deivce re-program what is device type 3 and vid pid type 2.. actually in device type it shows different ftdi devices and vid pid type- 3 options 1. default 2. only pid 3. vid and pid.. 

so please tell which to select.. 

one more question: i tried to change these settings, it is getting detected and programmed as usb blaster, but i am not able to program/ configure through it..  

error in quartus: unable to establish jtag chain (do you think tck speed is the issue?) 

thanks, 

mahesh
0 Kudos