Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16602 Discussions

USB Blaster driver and Windows 10 issue (BSoDs)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am having an issue with latest Altera Blaster drivers and Windows 10 with Anniversary Update. I am using the Kamami Maximator FPGA kit (http://maximator-fpga.org/) with the MAX10 FPGA on the main board and genuine Altera programmer IC on the programmer board. Whenever I want to upload the LEs configuration to FPGA, I can do it only once. Every second try fails with Blue Screen of Death and I need to reboot the computer. Any ideas? I have tried installing the older driver (included in) Quartus Prime 15.1) but it behaves the same way...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I faced same issue with Quartus 16.1 prime on Windows 10. Got blue screen crash error every time I try to program. Through some search, found out that there is some issue with the latest release of programmer application on Windows 10, hence it is recommended to use Quartus Programmer v14.0 or below and it worked!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Any further guidance on this matter would be welcome... Windows 10 64-bit OS; trying to use the MAX V development board. 

Installed Quartus II (11.1 + sp2) (the MAX V kit needs version 11.1 or above); got an unrecognised driver when installing the USB-Blaster driver; so, as per Altera guidance, installed the Quartus Prime 16.1 Lite edition; using the driver in that installation results in a clean USB-Blaster install (and Quartus II tools -> programmer recognises the USB-Blaster [USB-0]). Programmer is recognized in both QII 11.1 and Quartus Prime 16. 

However, the "Board Test System" application, maxV_5m570z_cpld, does not run at all; and there is no error dialogue to indicate a fault. QII/QP is not active when running BTS. 

Any advice as to whether to use QII 11.1 or rather Quartus Prime 16.1 would be welcome.... and or should I switch to a 32-bit OS?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just to update: installing Quartus (11.1) on a Windows 7 32-bit OS has resolved the problem; the 'Board Test System' runs out-of-the-box, and all is well. i.e. if you want to use the USB-Blaster which is part of the MAX V development board, then use a 32-bit OS.

0 Kudos