Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16592 Discussions

USB-Blaster driver install for Quartus Prime v20.1.1 failing

mwdawson-tfs
Beginner

The driver install errors showed up during the install process. I went in later and used device manager to update the driver manually. It still refused to install drivers and reported errors. I tracked the problem down to a code signing problem with the file usbblstr.inf.  Apparently the certificate was not timestamped properly. Is an updated driver package available?

The Signtool utility shows me the error below.

:\intelFPGA_lite\20.1\quartus\drivers\usb-blaster>signtool verify /v /c usbblstr.cat usbblstr.inf

Verifying: usbblstr.inf
File is signed in catalog: C:\intelFPGA_lite\20.1\quartus\drivers\usb-blaster\usbblstr.cat
Hash of file (sha1): F53BBA0004BE7FFB77F6690B99C8F0D7F6817059

Signing Certificate Chain:
Issued to: COMODO RSA Certification Authority
Issued by: COMODO RSA Certification Authority
Expires: Mon Jan 18 18:59:59 2038
SHA1 hash: AFE5D244A8D1194230FF479FE2F897BBCD7A8CB4

Issued to: Intel External Issuing CA 7B
Issued by: COMODO RSA Certification Authority
Expires: Thu Jun 17 18:59:59 2021
SHA1 hash: A32F56A57D828436FAD2AD4EC1FADB66340C8D5A

Issued to: IFDLII Production Key1
Issued by: Intel External Issuing CA 7B
Expires: Sun Jan 24 17:19:49 2021
SHA1 hash: A8EF53A1F6A8185703B51E7F6A461925345FE65A

File is not timestamped.

SignTool Error: A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root
certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.
SignTool Error: File not valid: usbblstr.inf

0 Kudos
14 Replies
mwdawson-tfs
Beginner

I followed the instructions in the guide. It did not fix the problem. I still get an error when I attempt to update the driver.

The instructions provided an link to and updated driver package for the usb-blaster-ii device. I have a plain usb-blaster device. Is there some way to get a a correctly signed driver package for this device

0 Kudos
mwdawson-tfs
Beginner

Ok I figured out a painful workaround. I downloaded and installed version 18.0 of quartus prime lite.

At the end of the installation a dialog comes up allowing you to specify whether you want to install drivers or shortcuts. Say no to everything and exit.

Launch device manager

Navigate to usb-blaster device

Right click and select "update driver"

Select browse by computer for driver software

Select the v180.0 folder  <installpath>\18.0\quartus\drivers and click next

Driver should install correctly.

0 Kudos
SVigil
Beginner

Yuan,

I had this same issue with the USB blaster cable, and found the below work around. It seems there is a signature security issue with the usb blaster driver. My question is, if I buy a USB blaster II cable for $225 does it have a proper signature in the driver? My IT department at my company does not want to install a driver that doesn't have a signature.

Solution: You first have to disable driver signature enforcement. This is the sequence:

1 - Go to windows 10 settings and search for "advanced startup options"

2 - Under Advanced startup, hit "Restart now"

3 - After a moment, you'll get a "choose an option" screen - choose "Troubleshoot", then "Advanced options", then "Startup Settings"

4 - You'll get a screen telling you what you will be able to change and a single "Restart" button - press it.

5 - If your boot drive is BitLocker encrypted, you'll need to enter the recovery key (press return, enter the key in the text box then hit return again - it took me three goes to realize I had to hit return before I could enter they key !)

6 - You'll be given a menu of options, number 7 disables driver signature enforcement

7 - When the PC restarts, use Device manager to update the drivers - this time you'll get a warning about the signature, but they install fine.

8 - When you've finished, restart normally to re-enable signature enforcement
0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi mwdawson-tfs.

Yes, you can find USB Blaster driver at link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/download/drivers/usb-blaster/dri-usb-blaster-vista.html

Hi SVigil,

Yes, it needs to be at the moment. You may follow the method as listed below to update the digital signature certificate.

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/tools/2021/why-does-the-intel--fpga-download-cable-ii-driver-installation-f.html

Regards,

Bruce

0 Kudos
SVigil
Beginner

Thank you. I will resort to buying Blaster II cables if I must. But is there a similar certificate fix for the USB Blaster Cables? I already purchased two USB Blaster for $600. The current drivers that are causing the problem came from the Quartus Programmer 20.1.1.720 downloaded last week.  Does this release contain the most up to date drivers?

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Unfortunately, your first link does not have the driver for download on that page, just instructions for installing it.  You still have to download the full Quartus to get the driver, which is weird.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Yes, first link is meant to guide user on installing the driver. Driver for USB Blaster can be found in the 2nd link.

Yes it is. But for now we will still need to apply the guide in installing the USB Blaster driver if there is any failure.

0 Kudos
SVigil
Beginner

YuanLi / Bruce,

Thank you. can you please provide a download link the the USB blaster signed driver? The original link only had the signed USB blaster II driver.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
SVigil
Beginner

Thanks Bruce.  Now the problem I'm having is the patch will not install. I'm trying to fix a stand alone programmer installation, and it says there is no stand alone programmer install in any directory I try. See attached screen shot of the attempt of trying the directory with the main executable in it. Can you tell me which I need to select?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Can you check if you directory is selected correctly? I have tested on my side, seems like no problem

0 Kudos
SVigil
Beginner

I don't know if it was selected correctly, because I don't know what is the correct directory to select. Can you please tell me which directory I'm suppose to select? I tried the one shown in the screenshot I provided several times.

0 Kudos
SVigil
Beginner

Or actually better yet can I do this without using the patch like the below link suggests for the blaster II cable?

Link: Why does the Intel® FPGA Download Cable II driver installation fails on Windows* operating system?

I just need the equivalent updated .inf and .cat files for the Blaster I cable and I can try to substitute them like the Blaster II procedure. Can you send these files?

0 Kudos