Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16603 Discussions

USB Blaster non-functional after 19.1 upgrade

ls4
Beginner

I had been using Quartus Prime Pro 18.0 successfully with my Stratix 10 SoC development board on a Windows 10 machine. I upgraded to 19.1, and I can no longer program the FPGA. I did the same on a coporate-issued laptop and observed the same result. When I power on the development board, I receive a USB Descriptor Read error, no USB Blaster device is listed in the Device Manager, and quartus_pgm reports:

Error (213013): Programming hardware cable not detected

When I installed 19.1, the drivers failed to install. I attempted to install them again with the same result:

driver.PNG

Following advice from another case, I disabled the Altera JTAG service, but observed no change. I've tried updating the driver from within device manager, but windows says that it is already using the best driver for the device. I tried re-installing the device drivers from 18.0, but that also failed.

How can I get my JTAG connection back?

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Paul,

Seems like there is a problem with USB Blaster on 19.1. Can you try to apply the patch available at link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/component/2019/why-does-my-usb-blaster-ii-not-work-when-using-intel--quartus---.html

Sorry for any inconvenient caused.

Regards,

YL

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Paul,

Seems like there is a problem with USB Blaster on 19.1. Can you try to apply the patch available at link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/component/2019/why-does-my-usb-blaster-ii-not-work-when-using-intel--quartus---.html

Sorry for any inconvenient caused.

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
ls4
Beginner

Thanks! That solved my issue. After applying the patch, the device appeared and I was able to use the programmer.

0 Kudos