Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

USB-Blaster on Windows 7

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 today and got Quartus II V9.0 up and running OK, didn't even reinstall it, just used the installation I previously used in Vista x32. I tried to install the USB-Blaster using the drivers that came with Quartus II V9.0 but Windows 7 complains about them not being digitally signed and installing them either way will not work. Those drivers that came with the Programmer V9.x sp2 won't work either.  

Has anyone been able to circumvent this problem? I am aware that Windows 7 is really new and Altera probably hasn't finished porting their software completely. I still have the Vista installation with working QII and USB-Blaster, so there's no need for an immediate fix. Just wanted to let people know that they probably won't be able to use the USB-Blaster yet.
0 Kudos
84 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just got a new computer with Win7 Professional x64 and reinstalled Q2 V9.1sp2. I don't know why, but in this x64 distribution of Win7 I do not need to disable driver signing at bootup anymore like I had to in Win7 Ultimate x64. Altera USB Blaster works fine with current drivers under Win7 Pro x64.  

Maybe they fixed it with sp2, my rig basically broke shortly after I updated (there is no connection, hehe), but I never tried to start without the F8 boot option after sp2...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When you install a newer version of Quartus, I don't think the installer will automatically activate the newer USB drivers. You need to go into the device manager and manually select the update driver option and point it to the new driver. You were probably still using an older driver even though you had installed Quartus II 9.1.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

that's a good idea, i'm not sure if its covered in the documentation.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

When you install a newer version of Quartus, I don't think the installer will automatically activate the newer USB drivers. You need to go into the device manager and manually select the update driver option and point it to the new driver. You were probably still using an older driver even though you had installed Quartus II 9.1. 

--- Quote End ---  

Device Manager is just what I had to do on my Win 7 Pro x64 machine. I had just installed the Q2 9.1 SP2 programmer for the first time and thus had no older drivers, but Plug-n-Play couldn't find the driver on its own when I plugged in a Terasic USB blaster. Thanks, Kevin!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Not for 64-bit Win 7 machines. Altera admitted it was a problem.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It works on my Win7 Ultimate (64-bit)...even virtualized through to a Linux VM... I didn't have to do anything special to make it work either. 

-slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This works for me too, thanks for uploading! :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi! I got install this same driver in my windows 7 x32! 

Thanks folks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanku very much howard.....ur files helped alot....solved the problem.......thanks

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How do you install the drivers? Do you just put the files in the drivers directory?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is the methods stated above applicable for Quartus II 9.0? Because I can install the driver but Hardware Setup does not detect it. Please assist. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Q II 9.0 fully supported Win 7. You should have no problem with USB Blaster. 

What does Device Manager say?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The Device Manager stated that the driver is successfully installed except those bluetooth thing which I think is not related. I am using Q II 9.0 without any service pack and running on Win 7 PRO 64-bit, so the Q II is fully compatible with my OS? Because I installed using the driver provided in Page 1. Or maybe I should use the driver provided after the installation?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Actually maybe 9.0 is not officially supported on Win 7. 10.0 definitely is. 

At any rate, I've been using 9.1 on Win7 for quite awhile without and USB blaster issues. I just used the driver that came with it. I think I may have had an "unsigned driver problem" when I installed but there's ways around that on Win7.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

But v10.0, a lot of features were taken out. I cant really do my final year project using 10.0. What's the difference between 9.0 and 9.1? Is there any features taken out or missing family package? Besides, I dont have the license for 9.1

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello,i'm new here... 

i've got a problem when connect my usb port blaster to pc,where the quartus does not detect any hardware.. 

so,i check on properties at my computer.but there is no problem.. 

how i'm supposed to do? 

for ur information, i'm using window7 n quartusII 7 ed 

thaNk you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Zainab, 

Your windows is 32-bit or 64-bit? The fastest and direct way is that you download the standalone Quartus Programmer v10. You can try the file included in this post but for me, it failed.  

I tried the standalone programmer and it works! 

I hope this might help. You can get it from here:  

ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/release/
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks 4 ur suggestion.i'm still try working on it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

Same problem with Byteblaster... 

I have tryed Wasabi_rice's driver on Win7 64-bit and it did not work (see message in attachment). 

Does anyone have the old drivers (Quartus 7) that are supposed to work with Win7 64bit, having disabled driver sign check at boot time? If so, would you please share them on this forum? Thanks. 

Cheers, 

C. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Sup all, 

I am running win7 x64 here. Here is a modified USB blaster driver I came up with. It works 100% as I tested on several machines. Hopefully this helps. 

Cheers 

Howard 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

Perhaps it is to late for some people, but I eventually found the USB-blaster drivers from Quartus 7.1 that works under Windows 7 x64 (64-bit). 

Please find them in attachment. 

In order to install and use these drivers, as pointed out above, you need to press F8 while booting Windows 7 x64 and choose Disable Driver Signature Check. 

Then you can install the drivers using the Device Manager. 

Note that even once installed, you need to disable sign check every time you want to use you USB-blaster device. 

I hope it helps.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Not quiet yet.. Still facing issues.. windows 7 32bits..

0 Kudos