Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

USB-Blaster on Windows 7

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 today and got Quartus II V9.0 up and running OK, didn't even reinstall it, just used the installation I previously used in Vista x32. I tried to install the USB-Blaster using the drivers that came with Quartus II V9.0 but Windows 7 complains about them not being digitally signed and installing them either way will not work. Those drivers that came with the Programmer V9.x sp2 won't work either.  

Has anyone been able to circumvent this problem? I am aware that Windows 7 is really new and Altera probably hasn't finished porting their software completely. I still have the Vista installation with working QII and USB-Blaster, so there's no need for an immediate fix. Just wanted to let people know that they probably won't be able to use the USB-Blaster yet.
0 Kudos
84 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Sup all, 

I am running win7 x64 here. Here is a modified USB blaster driver I came up with. It works 100% as I tested on several machines. Hopefully this helps. 

Cheers 

Howard 

--- Quote End ---  

Tried the drivers but get the error message as follows; 

The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Nedharkey, 

I have tried Wasabi_rice's driver on my Win7 x64, without success too. If you want to give a try using Altera's original QII 7.1 drivers, please find them posted above. 

The only issue is that those drivers are not digitally signed, so you need to press F8 while booting and choose "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement", each time you want to use (and install) your USB ByteBlaster.  

Good luck!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank so much all

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As it was stated earlier in this thread, the Quartus II 10.x versions contain the Windows 7 64-bit signed drivers for USB Blaster. So there's no need to use any tweaked drivers or "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" feature. 

I know this since I've also used to use that "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" trick with earlier Quartus releases, but now I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with USB Blaster with the original Quartus 10.1 USB Blaster drivers without any tricks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have to use this Quartus program for a class I am taking and I can't detect the USB blaster on my computer. I have a HP pavillion dv6 running on Win 7 64 bit. I've read through this entire thread and I can't get anything to work to detect my FPGA board. I installed 7.2, I've installed the 10.1 programmer and still it won't detect my board. I've also gone through device manager and tried updating/installing the driver but it fails. 

I would love it if I can get some help on this. Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Coconutwala, 

When you installed the 7.2 drivers, have you disabled the "driver signature enforcement" while booting Win 7 64-bit? You need to press F8 while booting, then select the option above. You need to do this for installing the drivers and every time you want to use your board.  

See my previous post on January 27th, the 7.1 drivers I posted there worked just fine on my Win 7 64-bit installation. 

Some people reported that the latest version of Quartus should work too, but I haven't tested myself.  

Good luck!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

TCRDL, 

Okay so I selected "disable driver signature enforcement" when booting up, and I have replaced the "usb-blaster" folder in the driver folder for my Quartus 9.1 and still doesn't work. 

So my computer recognizes the usb-blaster but won't install it, if that made sense. It's listed under Unspecified in Devices and Printers and it won't install through Device Manager. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

**replaced the folder with your folder

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Actually, you didn't need to replace the 9.1 driver folder by the old one, you only need to have the 7.1 drivers somewhere on your disk only during the usb-blaster installation. But it is ok that you replaced the folder, anyway, the 9.1 drivers supposedly do not work on Win 7 64-bit. 

Now, you need to go to the Device Manager, find the USB-BLASTER under USB devices somewhere, it should be highlighted with some sort of question mark because it has failed the plug-and-play install. Then, you right-click on it, and choose something like "Update Driver Software" or perhaps "Install Driver Software". You need to manually click on Browse and point to the folder with the 7.1 drivers that I posted. There will be some complaints about the driver not being signed, just ignore it and accept the installation anyway.  

Remember that you need to reboot your computer and choose "Disable driver signature enforcement", if you had recently restarted your computer without that option. You will need to do that everytime you want to use your usb-blaster. 

Again, this procedure seems a bit painful, but it works just fine if you're systematic! However, like some people pointed out, the latest version of Quartus might include signed drivers that should work right away. 

Good luck. 

--- Quote Start ---  

TCRDL, 

Okay so I selected "disable driver signature enforcement" when booting up, and I have replaced the "usb-blaster" folder in the driver folder for my Quartus 9.1 and still doesn't work. 

So my computer recognizes the usb-blaster but won't install it, if that made sense. It's listed under Unspecified in Devices and Printers and it won't install through Device Manager. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks! 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey, 

Wow that totally helped! Thanks so muchh!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I've just installed on Windows 7 32 bit a web version of Quartus 8.0 (:mad: due to legacy project); "everything" works except 2 problems: 

1) once building project i face some "make" fatal error -> this issue is resolved runnning Nios II IDE in compatibility Vista mode 

2) once starting debugging, after device programming is correctly finished, Nios II IDE crash!!! :confused: 

I attached a screen shot of window promped after crash. 

Somebody faced same problem? 

Can anybody help me? 

Thank you, 

P.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Excuse me, image attached in my previous post cannot be watched... 

Maybe this one is better 

Bye
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well, I got it to work. I installed the standalone programmer version 7.2sp3 (vs. just installing the driver set) and it now recognizes the USB-Blaster in the v11.0 programmer. I didn't reinstall / delete drivers or anything. I verified that after firing off the programmer in Quartus v11.0 I really am running the v11.0 programmer -- the Help > About Programmer indicates I'm running version Quartus II v11.0 Build 157 04/27/2011 SJ Web Edition.  

I uninstalled the 7.2sp3 version and the USB-Blaster option disappeared. I reinstalled it and it appeared once again.  

Strange!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edit: It turns out that the driver *did* get updated to the older version. I don't understand why the standalone drivers posted above didn't work for me but installing the full standalone program did. The driver info for the ones that are working for me are as follows: 

Provider: Altera 

Date: 5/19/2006 

Version: 2.0.0.0 

Hopefully, this helps someone else. 

--tim
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks a lot! my blaster works now 

lucky to join in:)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I found that using the drivers from the 7.1 stand alone programmer worked with quartus 11 - I'm using Win7/64  

Thanks for the suggestions!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I got the newest Quastrus, and driver version 2.4.16.0. 

Computer is able to see my device, unlucky quatrus do not see any hardware. 

what shall I do? 

My driver was downloaded from TCRDL link. 

I got win 7 professional x64
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Maybe you resolved it know, but if someone else have this problem, here's how to make the USB-blaster work on windows 7 64bits: 

-Restart the computer. 

-Press F8 to show the security mode screen. 

-Select the option similar to "Disable the need for digitally signed drivers." 

That will work. But you need to do it every time you restart the computer.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I was wondering if some one can help me with usb-blaster driver on windows 7 for Quartus-II version 11.0 (Web Edition). I tried the driver for version-9.0, but does not detect the Hardware in Hardware Setup (in programmer). Thanks.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you on 32 or 64 bit? 

The kernel mode drivers are, I think, the same for 9.0 and 11.0. If you're on a 32 bit machine then the best bet may be to install the 11.0sp1 programmer and use the jtagserver from that
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am on 64 bit machine , so I'll try this way, I hope works. 

Thanks Wombat for replying me.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I have the solution to my problem. 

I bought the DE1 board with the usb blaster 

the first time it was recognised as usb<->serial 

what i did: 

download FTprog form FTDI, whit this you can configuer the FTDI chip, also if it dousnt work in quartus. 

next you have to check that the vendor ID and Product id are the same as in the USBblaster .inf driver. this values were wrong. 

right settings: 

costum VID/PID : Costum VID/PID (not FTDI Default) 

Vendor ID : 09FB (not 0403) 

Product ID : 6001 

USB version nummer USB 2.0 

Bus Powered 

100mAmps 

USB remote Wake Up :off 

Pull Down :On 

Manufacturer : Altera (not FTDI) 

Product Description: USB-Blaster 

Serial number enabled: checked 

Auto Generate Serial No. Uncheched 

Serial Number 91d28401