Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Urgent help on licensing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello there, 

I'm a newbie to altera and this licensing issue has really slowed my research. I have a DE III board (Stratix III), given to me by my university to carry out my research. I made some schematic design with it, compiled and simulated successfully. Along the line i found out that quartus II web edition would not support my device so i switched to the subscription edition with a 30days trial. But when i tried to program my altera chip, the quartus II software would not generate the .sof file. Found out later that my subscription version was in evaluation mode and would require full licensing before the .sof file could be generated. This is what i have been unable to do, getting a license file. 

I visited the self-licensing center on the altera site, add my computer successfully. But the "product and user" would not display any list its column as described in the sample licensing videos in altera site. then i thought of generating a legacy license, perhaps that could work, but it was to no avail. i typed in my NIC and submitted my email as requested but it was to no avail. it would display "sorry. there were errors encountered during the license generation"

Its been very frustrating, and am stucked here, am not too sure about the licensing, if its going to come with some charges even though we purchased the device or if its going to be free. Pls i need you to help me clarify, direct me on ways and step of licensing my quartus II 9.1 subscription edition.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would contact mysupport - they may know more. 

Im not sure what licence comes with the dev kit - I would assume its some limited form of full licence. A full licence is a couple of thousand dollars.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

am not too sure about the licensing, if its going to come with some charges even though we purchased the device 

--- Quote End ---  

When you say 'purchased the device' do you mean the FPGA or a subscription licence? 

If the web tools won't target the Stratix III then you are going to have to pay for a subscription licence. 

Nial
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I would contact mysupport - they may know more. 

Pls do, i will be waiting. 

Im not sure what licence comes with the dev kit - I would assume its some limited form of full licence. A full licence is a couple of thousand dollars. 

--- Quote End ---  

Quartus II 9.1 came with the device, and i dont expect licensing since we had paid for the device. I want clarification on whether we still ought to pay for license. And if we do pay for license, is that wen the "Product and User" list would show? I was expecting it to show to enable licensing but it doesnt. I followed a link that showed various price list. It showed price list for kit and not licensing. i want to be sure if wat should be paid for is kit or kit and license
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

When you say 'purchased the device' do you mean the FPGA or a subscription licence? 

i meant the FPGA. 

If the web tools won't target the Stratix III then you are going to have to pay for a subscription licence. 

Nial 

--- Quote End ---  

Can u provide a link for doing this and a link for price tag.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

IIRC the kit comes with a limited subscription license that can be used with the Quartus II version delivered with the kit, but not with more recent versions (a bit like when you have an outdated subscription license). As Tricky said, you should contact Altera through MySupport if you need help installing the license.

0 Kudos