Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Using a schematics symbol with bus

CFabr1
Novice

Hi all,

I need to implement a 4-bit counter (74161) in my schematics, I found a Verilog example but I'm unable to properly wire the symbol because it uses bus for inputs and outputs.Specifically I need to label the outputs in a certain way (because they are outputs from the CPLD and they must be labeled as H1, H2, H2, H4) while the four input must be tied to GROUND.How can I obtain this?

Here's the piece of code :

module ttl_74161 #(parameter WIDTH = 4, DELAY_RISE = 0, DELAY_FALL = 0)
(
  input Clear_bar,
  input Load_bar,
  input ENT,
  input ENP,
  input [WIDTH-1:0] D,
  input Clk,
  output RCO,
  output [WIDTH-1:0] Q
);

//------------------------------------------------//
wire RCO_current;
reg [WIDTH-1:0] Q_current;
wire [WIDTH-1:0] Q_next;

assign Q_next = Q_current + 1;

always @(posedge Clk or negedge Clear_bar)
begin
  if (!Clear_bar)
  begin
    Q_current <= {WIDTH{1'b0}};
  end
  else
  begin
    if (!Load_bar)
    begin
      Q_current <= D;
    end

if (Load_bar && ENT && ENP)
    begin
      Q_current <= Q_next;
    end
  end
end

// output
assign RCO_current = ENT && (&Q_current);

//------------------------------------------------//

assign #(DELAY_RISE, DELAY_FALL) RCO = RCO_current;
assign #(DELAY_RISE, DELAY_FALL) Q = Q_current;

endmodule

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CFabr1
Novice

Here is how the code looks compiled into a symbol.H1, H2, H4, H8 must be the outputs from it (H1 the first bit, H8 the last one)

Snap8.jpg

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You just attach wires and label them appropriately to break out the bits of the bus: Q[3], Q[2], Q[1], and Q[0].

0 Kudos
CFabr1
Novice

Can you, please, explain it in schematics?Sorry but this is the firt time I use bus, I always used symbols with individual input/output lines.Thanks.

0 Kudos
CFabr1
Novice

I came to conclusion that, using that symbol with the bus,  I'm forced to label the outputs as Q[0], Q[1], Q[2], Q[3].This is not what I wanted.I need to label them in a different way.Is this possible?

Snap9.jpg

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You're using the bus tool (thick line) instead of the wire tool (thin line).  And you changed the names of the outputs.  If you want the H names like you mentioned, change the output names back the way you had them and then attach wires to the 4 outputs and label them as I said to make the connections.

Or since you already have the HDL code, just use that as the top level in your project instead of creating a schematic at all.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Caius,

May I know if there is any update?

0 Kudos