Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15312 Discussions

Using submodule-naming-pattern[=<value>] for ip-generate with script

CBRUN12
Beginner

Hi everyone, 

I have generated an altera_soft_lvds IP from the IP Catalog of Quartus Prime and I got three useful files :

• altera_soft_lvds.qip
  • altera_soft_lvds.v
  • altera_soft_lvds_0002.v (located in a sub_folder)

I would like to re-generate this IP with a Makefile from only the altera_soft_lvds.qip and altera_soft_lvds.v files (altera_soft_lvds_0002.v is not saved in our Git server)

I "succeed" to re-generate the IP with the following command :

ip-generate --mw-variation-file=altera_soft_lvds.v --file-set=QUARTUS_SYNTH --output-name=altera_soft_lvds

but I get only ONE .v file (altera_soft_lvds.v) instead of 2 files (altera_soft_lvds.v & altera_soft_lvds_0002.v)

Someone knows how to re-generate this IP with the same file structure ? I think this is with the --submodule-naming-pattern option but I'm not sure and I don't understand how to used it.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JonWay_C_Intel
Employee

HI @CBRUN12​ 

Would you try using the GUI to regenerate files instead of running over the command lines?

CBRUN12
Beginner

Hi @JwChin​ 

I would like to use the command lines instead of the GUI.

By using the command lines, the number of generated files is not the same as GUI (total of 1 .v file with command lines instead of 2 .v files)

JonWay_C_Intel
Employee

Would you check if running the GUI would generate the same number of files? I want to know what is the results of GUI vs command line.

CBRUN12
Beginner

GUI vs command line doesn't generate the same number of file:

• GUI: 3 files (altera_soft_lvds.qip, altera_soft_lvds.v, altera_soft_lvds_0002.v)
  • Command line: 2 files (altera_soft_lvds.qip, altera_soft_lvds.v)

Both work properly but file construction is not the same.

JonWay_C_Intel
Employee

Hi @CBRUN12​ 

Are there significant benefit running over command lines over GUI?

I believe the GUI has other commands running on the background besides the one you are running.

I would recommend that you generate the files using the GUI and not via the command lines.